MaxH Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Upgrade failure from 9.42 to 9.50

Jump to solution

I am attempting to upgrade my instance from 9.42 to 9.50.  After the upgrade runs, I recieve an error that says:

The upgrade to Project and Portfolio Management Center Version 9.50 has failed.
Failed action(s):
PostUpgrade
POST_UPGRADE_DRIVER

Main log:
/opt/ppm/PPM/upgrade_950/ppm_upgrade.log

Action log(s):
/opt/ppm/PPM/upgrade_950/logs/4/DB/PostUpgrade/postUpgrade.log

Please review the log file(s) for the failed action. After you resolve the
problem, you can rerun the upgrade. Although you will be prompted for the same
information, the upgrade will continue from the point at which it failed.

A further review of logs indicates the following:

ERROR server:Druid-ConnectionPool-Create-464210266:(DruidDataSource.java:1883):2019/02/05-10:18:29.361 CST: create connection error, url: jdbc:oracle:thin:@16.103.37.39:1521:ppmbuild
java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: IO Error: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CConnection.logon(T4CConnection.java:743)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.PhysicalConnection.connect(PhysicalConnection.java:666)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CDriverExtension.getConnection(T4CDriverExtension.java:32)
at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.connect(OracleDriver.java:566)
at com.alibaba.druid.filter.FilterChainImpl.connection_connect(FilterChainImpl.java:148)
at com.alibaba.druid.filter.stat.StatFilter.connection_connect(StatFilter.java:211)
at com.alibaba.druid.filter.FilterChainImpl.connection_connect(FilterChainImpl.java:142)
at com.alibaba.druid.pool.DruidAbstractDataSource.createPhysicalConnection(DruidAbstractDataSource.java:1388)
at com.alibaba.druid.pool.DruidAbstractDataSource.createPhysicalConnection(DruidAbstractDataSource.java:1442)
at com.alibaba.druid.pool.DruidDataSource$CreateConnectionThread.run(DruidDataSource.java:1881)

I'm pretty certain that this upgrade should not be pointing to the URL indicated above.  Does anyone know why this may be occurring or where this is configured at during the upgrade process?

Unfortunately, I work on a government contract and the Customer has allowed support to lapse, so I need assistance for this error and cannot go through Support to get it.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: Upgrade failure from 9.42 to 9.50

Jump to solution
0 Likes
10 Replies
Aurobinda Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hi MaxH
Having an overall looknof the issue, i think you may need to revisit below two files.
1. Server.conf , please check jdbc is correctly set and its accepting the connection.
2. Tnsnames.ora file, please check the tns details are correctly set.

If still the issue persists, please share below files for checking more details.
1. Serverlog
2. Server.conf
3. Tnsnames.ora
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello Max,

Check whether user (admin) is expired/disabled:

SELECT user_id,
username,
last_update_date,
last_updated_by,
start_date,
end_date
FROM knta_users
WHERE user_id = 1;

if end_date is not null, please run:
update knta_users set end_date = null where user_id = 1;
commit;

2. Check Whether admin belongs to "PPM administrator" security group

SELECT US.USER_ID, US.SECURITY_GROUP_ID, SG.ENABLED_FLAG
FROM KNTA_USER_SECURITY us, KNTA_SECURITY_GROUPS sg
WHERE us.user_id = 1
AND sg.security_group_id = us.security_group_id
AND us.security_group_id = '20000';

The output should be:
USER_ID SECURITY_GROUP_ID ENABLED_FLAG
---------------------- ---------------------- ------------
1 20000 Y

If no record, please run

INSERT INTO KNTA_USER_SECURITY (USER_SECURITY_ID,
CREATION_DATE,
CREATED_BY,
LAST_UPDATE_DATE,
LAST_UPDATED_BY,
SECURITY_GROUP_ID,
USER_ID,
SOURCE_TYPE_CODE,
SOURCE)
VALUES (20000,
TO_DATE ('1995-08-28 00:00:00', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),
TO_DATE ('1995-08-28 00:00:00', 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS'),
NULL,
NULL);
COMMIT;

3. Please check if the user admin is available to upgrade.

SELECT decode( count(*), 1, 'User (admin) is available to upgarde, please go ahead to upgrade.','User (admin) is not avaiable, please double check the previous steps')
FROM KNTA_USER_SECURITY us, KNTA_SECURITY_GROUPS sg, KNTA_USERs u
WHERE us.user_id = 1
AND u.user_id = us.user_id
AND sg.security_group_id = us.security_group_id
AND us.security_group_id = '20000' and u.end_date is null and sg.enabled_flag = 'Y';

4. Upgrade PPM again.

If still fails it is because there is a license missing from the admin user, so you can check the below:

1. Modify the PL/SQL in KCRT_REQUEST_UTIL.MOVE_REQUEST_WORKFLOW (this should be in the upgrade folder) and added the following:

INSERT INTO upgrade_error_output
SELECT * FROM knta_interface_errors;
commit;

2. After creating a new table called upgrade_error_output, please run the select:

select * from UPGRADE_ERROR_OUTPUT;

You will need to run the upgrade script again to capture the information then this probably will generate an error like the following:

“User is not licensed to use product (user name: admin, user ID: 1, product: Kintana Create).”

3. If so, please do the following:

If you are able to start PPM you can go to the workbench and check that the Admin User have the System Level License boxes checked for Configuration and User Administration in Work Bench.
If not, you can add a row to knta_user_products to give Kintana create to the ADMIN user

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

For this possible solution, I was able to run all three queries and the results were as they should be.  I attempted the upgrade again and still came away with the same results.  I then searched for the PL/SQL 'KCRT_REQUEST_UTIL.MOVE_REQUEST_WORKFLOW' file described and was not able to find it anywhere on the server.  I have attached the error output for this attempt.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Both the server.conf and tnsnames.ora are correct.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi,

Maybe you can provide a few lines more from the log before and after this message to show better where it comes from (what is called to get it).

Another thing to try may be to edit upgrade.sh and change DEBUG="false" to true and see if you can get more information near the error message.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

A further review of the logs indicates this:

[sqlscript] java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01403: no data found
[sqlscript] ORA-06512: at line 20
FAILED: Tue Feb 12 07:13:01 CST 2019
Duration: 00h:00m:01s

BUILD FAILED
/opt/ppm/PPM/upgrade_950/xml/PostUpgrade.xml:49: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01403: no data found
ORA-06512: at line 20

This was taken from the /upgrade_950/logs/3/DB/PostUpgrade/postUpgrade.log

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Further research indicates that this should not be an issue based upon QCCR1L67002 (BUILD FAILED:.../PostUpgrade.xml:49: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01403: no data found).  This is a version 9.40 to 9.50 upgrade.  That document states the following:

Customer symptom: When upgrading PPM from 940 to 950, the knta_parameter_set_fields_942_1.sql generates "ORA-01403: no data found" error.

Customer resolution: The error does not occur when upgrading PPM from 9.40 to 9.50.

My symptom is exactly the same for a version 9.42 to 9.50, however; I do receive the error.

I really need a PPM Support person to answer why this occurs if it was supposed to have been fixed.  And that being the case, HOW do I get this fixed for my issue?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

If you look at the page it does not say completed but Action...

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/doc/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1L67002

Fix Version

Release Status
9.40 Action
9.50 Action

See example of fixed one here:

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/doc/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1L49198

You can open support case to ask to get the needed replacement of the  knta_parameter_set_fields_942_1.sql (you can mention QCIM1L66981 in it). I believe it is not correct to post this file here. 
Than you will have to open upgrade bundle and find the file with the same name and replace it with the one provided.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I cannot open a support ticket at this time because our Support Contract is not up-to-date.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.