ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.
Ensign
Ensign

Upgrading to 9.61 - copying PPM folder to other nodes

Jump to solution

Since the file system structure has changed in 9.61, is copying the PPM folder, renaming PPM/server/<server name> and deleting work & temp folders still supported?

It's easier for me to run a script that copies the folder to other nodes instead of upgrading each folder separately.

Thanks.

Labels (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,
The simple answer to your question is yes. Copying the PPM filesystem to other nodes/server and renaming the server folder will work.

If you are just applying 9.61 i.e. from 9.60 --> 9.61 you can just apply file system changes to other nodes (minus the DB changes) if you don't want to copy the entire filesystem again.

Regards,
Mehul Shah
Microfocus SaaS Operations Lead.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello,
The simple answer to your question is yes. Copying the PPM filesystem to other nodes/server and renaming the server folder will work.

If you are just applying 9.61 i.e. from 9.60 --> 9.61 you can just apply file system changes to other nodes (minus the DB changes) if you don't want to copy the entire filesystem again.

Regards,
Mehul Shah
Microfocus SaaS Operations Lead.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

To add on top of Mehul's reply, keep in mind that from PPM 9.61, all the "standard" files PPM files (such as JSPs, jars, and other PPM Server "core" files) will be in PPM_HOME/server/_common, and the folders PPM_HOME/server/<server_name> will only contain logs, temp folders, and node-specific config files.

So that means that your server_name folders should be much more lightweight than before, since most files will be read from /server/_common.

Now, I'm not sure whether it's really required to copy one server_name to the others after an upgrade with the new 9.61 deployment mode - running kSync.sh and kUpdateHtml.sh should get all your nodes in a given PPM_HOME ready to start after an upgrade.

I'll try to bring some PPM R&D upgrade experts on this thread to make sure you're not wasting your time copying folders after an upgrade when it's not needed. Our purpose in changing the file system in PPM 9.61 is to make PPM upgrades simpler, faster and safer, especially when you have some customizations and content involved. 

Cheers,

Etienne.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor
it's correct.
It also supports the way to copy upgraded server to other ones after 961.
From 961, all nodes that in same server share single file system named _common. If add more node, just need to add configuration in server.conf, then run kUpdateHtml.sh -name NODE_NAME
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.