Absent Member.. thePITman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

User Access on Request Type/Workflow Not Functioning as Expected

I have a Request Type, let's call it "RFC," that works fine and is available to All Users. I copied the Request Type and created a new one, let's call it "RFC (HR)" that uses the same workflow as the RFC, but I am changing the User Access on the RFC (HR) so that only people assigned to the request (Workflow Security) can view/edit it (I unchecked all boxes for "All Users"). However, in testing the access to the RFC (HR), users who are not in the Workflow Security (step) are still able to view/edit requests. I have narrowed it down in 2 ways:

1. It is, in fact, the Workflow Security part of the User Access tab that is causing the issue. I unchecked all boxes from Workflow Security, and my test user could no longer view/edit the request. I check the boxes, and he can see it again. However, he is not on the Security tab for the current workflow step, so I don't know why he still can view/edit the request (cannot approve the request).

2. We have another Request Type, let's all it "DTR," that utilizes this locked-down approach successfully today. I took the Workflow that the DTR uses and put it in as the RFC (HR) workflow, and the RFC (HR) works as expected. I change the Workflow back to the RFC workflow, and it doesn't work. So, it appears to be something with my RFC workflow that is different than the DTR workflow when it comes to permissions/security, but I have compared every tab of the two workflows and cannot find what is different.

Can someone please help me find where in the Workflow Security that my test user is still able to view/edit requests? Please let me know if there are any screen shots you need that would help troubleshoot. Thanks!

0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.. AlexSavencu Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: User Access on Request Type/Workflow Not Functioning as Expected

Hi,

From your description it looks like you have users and/or security groups configured in workflow steps which are able to access the requests of the new request type.

Workflow security is basically gathering all users that are part of the workflow step security.

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers
Alex

--remember to kudos people who helped solve your problem
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Correct. At the "Prioritization" step in the RFC Workflow (which the RFC (HR) Request Type uses), the following permissions are assigned to it via the Security tab on the Workflow step:

1. [REQD.VP.P_BUS_REQ_LEAD] -- A field on the request containing a username

2. [REQD.VP.P_BPD_ACCOUNTABLE] -- A field on the request containing a username

3. PPM Administrator -- Security group

It is my understanding that only somebody that meets one of those 3 criteria would be able to view/edit the request. But my test user, who is not in either field nor in the security group, can still view/edit the request. However, the user cannot approve the request, something that he would be able to do were he in one of those fields or the security group.

0 Likes
Natalia_R_PPM Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Could you please attach some screenshots.

Regards,

Natalia 

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hmm. I thought I had already attached them, but they don't appear to be there. I am attaching them, now. Please let me know if there is anything else of which you would like a screen shot.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Tim_Brandish Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Check to make sure you don't have any old detached workflow steps hidden off to the side of the workflow layout.  Even security on steps you don't think you are using count towards allowing users into requests.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.