Absent Member.. thePITman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Using UI Rules on Display Only Fields

Jump to solution

I have 2 custom fields on a Request Type: (1) Estimated Completion Date, and (2) Date Check. Date Check is a Display Only=Yes field.

When Estimated Completion Date is changed, a SQL statement updates Date Check with a message. If the Estimated Completion Date falls within a certain date range (identified in a database table), Date Check is updated with the message, "This date falls during Code Freeze." If the Estimated Completion Date does not fall within a certain date range, Date Check is set to NULL. This works fine.

However, I am unable to do 2 things.

First, I tried creating a Rule for when Date Check changes; and if it contains a value, then change its font color to red. So this should happen: (1) User changes Estimated Completion Date, (2) Rule fires and updates message in Date Check field, (3) Upon Date Check field change, fire a Rule to make Date Check red if it contains any value. However, the Rule in the 3rd step never fires. Do On-Field-Change Rules not fire if another Rule is updating the field in question?

Second, I tried creating an additional On-Field-Change Rule, so that whenever Estimated Completion Date changes, it makes the Date Check field turn red. This does not work when Date Check is set to Display Only=Yes. However, if I set it to Display Only=No (and the field is editable), the text turns red just fine.

I want Date Check to always be read-only (Display Only=Yes), yet whenever it contains a value, I want the text to be red. Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rich Y_1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Using UI Rules on Display Only Fields

Jump to solution

To you 1st question as your thought the rule will not fire if the change was from another rule.

Your 2nd question:

I've had display only fields displayed with different colors.  In my rule to build the display on message I have html code in it.  See below for an example.

select '3', '<!--HTML--><b><font color="#FF0000">Emergency  Turnover Request</font></b>' from dual

Hope this helps

0 Likes
2 Replies
Rich Y_1 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

To you 1st question as your thought the rule will not fire if the change was from another rule.

Your 2nd question:

I've had display only fields displayed with different colors.  In my rule to build the display on message I have html code in it.  See below for an example.

select '3', '<!--HTML--><b><font color="#FF0000">Emergency  Turnover Request</font></b>' from dual

Hope this helps

0 Likes
Absent Member.. thePITman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Works perfectly. Thank you very much!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.