Absent Member..

Values for Java Heap

Jump to solution

Hello,

We currently have the following Java Heap settings:

com.kintana.core.server.SERVER_INIT_HEAP_SIZE=2048m
com.kintana.core.server.SERVER_MAX_HEAP_SIZE=2048m
com.kintana.core.server.SERVER_MAX_PERM_SIZE=512m

If we wanted to double these values, are there any issues?

Any concerns?

Should we double MAX PERM SIZE if we double the HEAP SIZE values? Or should that stay the same?

Version info:

HP PPM 9.22

64-bit JDK

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Values for Java Heap

Jump to solution

Hi,

There's no issue I can think of, and I wouldn't personnally double the MAX PERM SIZE, unless of course you do meet some exception pointing at the JVM running out of Permanent space (which shouldn't happen... in theory!). 

What you'll want is more HEAP space so that you can cache more objects or store more/larger PPM business objects in memory (work plans, staffing profiles, etc.).

The only word of warning is that you should watch out for full garbage collection durations; if they end up becoming too long with the new settings, users might experience unresponsive UI when it occurs. Now, I know that many customers already run with 4GB HEAP on their Web User nodes, and so far none did complain about overly long full GC cycles. But just keep your eyes peeled just in case!

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Values for Java Heap

Jump to solution

Hi,

There's no issue I can think of, and I wouldn't personnally double the MAX PERM SIZE, unless of course you do meet some exception pointing at the JVM running out of Permanent space (which shouldn't happen... in theory!). 

What you'll want is more HEAP space so that you can cache more objects or store more/larger PPM business objects in memory (work plans, staffing profiles, etc.).

The only word of warning is that you should watch out for full garbage collection durations; if they end up becoming too long with the new settings, users might experience unresponsive UI when it occurs. Now, I know that many customers already run with 4GB HEAP on their Web User nodes, and so far none did complain about overly long full GC cycles. But just keep your eyes peeled just in case!

Kind Regards,

Etienne.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.