Don Seagraves Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What are the rules for Completed Tasks on a Work Plan to be put back to In Progress?

Jump to solution

When a project is closed in a work flow step we set the work plan to Complete which includes all the Tasks.  The TMPM Sync when executed will reopen certain Tasks to In Progress and sets Task 0 in the work plan to Active.   Thereby causing these Tasks to continually show up in the Suggested Items List.

We do know these Tasks are on peoples In Rework, Pending Approval and Not Submitted time sheets.  Often on Time Sheets that are several weeks in the past.

So does the TMPM Sync set Tasks to In Progress for all of those time sheet statuses, two of them or just on In Rework?  

I am really trying to determine and recommend actions our team needs to take on previous time sheets to ensure the Work Plan remains Completed.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: What are the rules for Completed Tasks on a Work Plan to be put back to In Progress?

Jump to solution

Right, because the last thing PPM would want to have happen is have an Approver say "Hey, I didn't approve that!" or "Hey, I did approve that so why is that not reflected in the Financial Summary!"

Since the Task is Read-Only in the "Completed" Status, to ensure those approvals/rejections are reflected properly, Task has to be put in to "In Progress" Status.

-Mike

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
8 Replies
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: What are the rules for Completed Tasks on a Work Plan to be put back to In Progress?

Jump to solution

Hi Don,

To update a Task's Actuals/Start Date/Finish Date/etc., the Status of the Task has to be "In Progress" (otherwise it is Read-Only to ensure someone does not add information after it has been approved for example).

I think you will want take a look at the Project Settings. In the Project Management User Guide, see the Time Management section for the Cost and Effort section. There is a "After a task is complete..." Field.

There are four options, and sounds like you will want to set it to "Do not allow".

-Mike

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I guess another way to ask this is  - what needs to be done to ensure a project and all tasks on the work plan stay completed?  Do we need to ensure all time sheets are approved?

The problem primarily is not with people continuing to charging time but the TMPM Sync contintues to set tasks to In progress on those tasks that are sitting on their past time sheets. 

So what is the TMPM sync doing?  Does it set any completed task back to In Progress that is sitting on any Pending Approval, In Rework and Unsubmittied time sheet?

Again, I can re-close the project and reset all tasks back to Completed - but the next time the TMPM sync runs it will make Task 0 Active and certain tasks back to In Progress.

0 Likes
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

The TM PM Sync service will look for rows and then process them.

If they find one for a Task, it will have to re-open the Task.

Something is triggering the synch, so ensuring the Time Sheets are Closed/Approved would be a good way to prevent the triggering of a synch, because rejecting can be a trigger.

-Mike

TM-PM Synch

Description : This service syncs all actuals from TM(tm_work_units) to PM(wp_work_units), while backing out actuals that shouldn't be synced (rejected actuals before submit)
Default interval : 3 hours
Driving table.column : TM_WORK_UNITS. NEEDS_SYNC
Discriminator value : Y
Trigger Condition : Any change in the Time actuals.

“HP Support
0 Likes
Absent Member.. randull Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Don,

Do you know if there are any TMPM sync errors on your serverlog?

We have seemed cases like this where the users were getting this errors,

Failed saveTasks() in TM-PM sync service
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: actualEffort / (actualEffort + estimatedRemainingEffort) * 100 must be equal to percentComplete (+- .5).
at com.mercury.itg.pm.persister.BaseTaskPersister.updateWorkUnit(BaseTaskPersister.java:332)
at com.mercury.itg.pm.persister.BaseTaskPersister.updateWorkUnit(BaseTaskPersister.java:

Could you please attach the logs here?

Best regards,
Randall

-- Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)
"If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

We are getting no errors with the TMPM sync - I previously verified that to make sure that wasn't a factor.

So can I conclude that any Task on an unapproved time sheet will set the task status from Completed to In Progress on the work plan? 

PPM in other words considers the Project and work plan to be in a final completed state after all time sheets are approved?

Is this an accurate statement I can communicate?

Thanks,

Don

0 Likes
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Right, because the last thing PPM would want to have happen is have an Approver say "Hey, I didn't approve that!" or "Hey, I did approve that so why is that not reflected in the Financial Summary!"

Since the Task is Read-Only in the "Completed" Status, to ensure those approvals/rejections are reflected properly, Task has to be put in to "In Progress" Status.

-Mike

“HP Support
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks for the confirmation and stating what I have also tried to explain here.  A lot of discipline with time sheet approvals has been lost over the last couple of years.   And as you can probably conclude not understood how this effects our Projects and work plans. 

Thanks again,

Don

0 Likes
mike_se Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sure, no problem.

I'll just marked this Thread as Solved.

-Mike

“HP Support
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.