Established Member.. Nilay___
Established Member..

critical path early start late start calculation

Jump to solution

hello,

late

i have a conflict about yhe calculation of task's  critical path metrics. Where do early start/finish date and late Start/finish date come from?

slack is calculated from early and late date difference. But i couldn't understand where these days comes from. I need both cases when task has consraint and when it doesn't have.

I send an example of a task.

thanks,

have a nice day.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Outstanding Contributor.. Loc_Nguyen_PPM Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: critical path early start late start calculation

Jump to solution

Hi Nilay,

Please take a look the following KM, it talk about Critical Path Metrics missing.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00250672

When the work plan is scheduled, the entire work plan is considered, and changes are immediately saved. If you want to reschedule discrete sections of the work plan, you can place constraints on the relevant summary tasks to accomplish the move. See Setting Scheduling Constraints on page 123 for more information about constraints.

To generate the schedule for a work plan:

1. Click the Schedule Work Plan icon. The Schedule Work Plan dialog box opens.

2. In Schedule from date, specify a date from which to schedule the work plan. This is usually set in the Scheduling policy individually for each project and generally does not change unless the entire project needs to shift dates. If you are collecting actuals in your work plan, changing the Schedule from date field and rescheduling the work plan can push remaining work into the future.

3. If desired, type a Critical Path Threshold. For more details on the purpose of the critical path threshold, see Critical Path Threshold on page 42.

4. Click Schedule.

* I've attached the image where you can find the Schedule Workplan icon.

Hope this helps.

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
5 Replies
CGut Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Nilay, 

Wich PPM version are you using?

There is some information regarding critical path:

The Critical Path Threshold is the amount of slack (the amount of time that a task may be delayed from its start without delaying the project) specified as the threshold for identifying a task as part of the critical path. Tasks with slack less than or equal to this value are on the critical path If you have 3 days of slack (3>0) then the task will not be on critical path. Assuming that you have set Critical Path Threshold to 0 or value less than 3. You can check this value in the Project Settings page> Scheduling.

The critical path is usually defined as those activities with Slack less than or equal to a specified value, often zero. And slack = (Late Start - Early Start).

For the tasks in this WP, since slack is greater than zero none of the tasks lie on the critical path.

A work plan’s critical path is composed of all of the tasks in a work plan that determine its duration.The critical path is calculated after scheduling the work plan. If you have made changes to the work plan, you should reschedule it in order to obtain an accurate critical path.

Also I am attaching here the 9.10 Project manager user guide for more information.

Hope it helps!
Carolina.

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

hi Carolina,

Thanks for detailed info, I also checked the guide you send before openning the case . It includes slack,thresold info but i couldn't find where early start/finish and late start/finish info comes from.

I made changes on workplan and i'm using 8.4 how can i reschedule wp? By the way i will upgrade system in a few days so i need rescheduling way for 9.2.

thanks,

have a nice day.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi Nilay,

Please take a look the following KM, it talk about Critical Path Metrics missing.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00250672

When the work plan is scheduled, the entire work plan is considered, and changes are immediately saved. If you want to reschedule discrete sections of the work plan, you can place constraints on the relevant summary tasks to accomplish the move. See Setting Scheduling Constraints on page 123 for more information about constraints.

To generate the schedule for a work plan:

1. Click the Schedule Work Plan icon. The Schedule Work Plan dialog box opens.

2. In Schedule from date, specify a date from which to schedule the work plan. This is usually set in the Scheduling policy individually for each project and generally does not change unless the entire project needs to shift dates. If you are collecting actuals in your work plan, changing the Schedule from date field and rescheduling the work plan can push remaining work into the future.

3. If desired, type a Critical Path Threshold. For more details on the purpose of the critical path threshold, see Critical Path Threshold on page 42.

4. Click Schedule.

* I've attached the image where you can find the Schedule Workplan icon.

Hope this helps.

“HP Support
0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi Nilay,

My answer helped you ?

Thanks.

“HP Support
0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution
hi vinhloc,

yes, answer helped me.

thanks,
have a nice day.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.