Frequent Contributor.. hyllplan Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

"no more data to read from socket", oracle 11g

Hi
Every now and then we experience the following ora error
"no more data to read from socket" when trying to load a portlet. The query runs fine from oracle developer indicating that there is something between the app layer and db. Were running ppm 9.22 with Oracle 11.2.0.3.
I can provide more info when I get acces to the actual environment.
Anyone that experienced this?, maybe known by HP?
Regards Johan
0 Likes
5 Replies
Natalia_R_PPM Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: "no more data to read from socket", oracle 11g

Hello Johan,

I was researching about this error messenger and I found the following information:

1)
Cause
The error means that the Database connection is lost.
Fix

Check if the database is up and running and/or try to restart it.
Check if the connection to the database is still working.
If the same issue occurs frequently, the values of these parameters can be increased in the server.conf file:
com.kintana.core.server.MAX_DB_CONNECTIONS
com.kintana.core.server.MAX_ITG_DB_CONNECTIONS
com.kintana.core.server.MAX_DASHBOARD_DB_CONNECTIONS

2)
Cause
This error indicates some problem on the Oracle side.
Ask the Database Administrator (DBA) to review Oracle logs and check if there are any errors.
See if there are any timeouts for connections to the database server.

Fix
This Oracle error occurs when a connection that has been timed out or has been staled is used to connect to the database.
Try restarting the database and run the upgrade again.

3) R&D:
"from my investigation, most likely this is an Oracle issue.
the exception "java.sql.SQLRecoverableException: No more data to read from socket" is what happens to the client when the DBMS has killed the session/connection out from under the driver. Please ask customer's DBA to check the DBMS error log, something bad was happening there at that moment.

Hope it helps.

Thanks &
Best Regards,
Natalia R

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Thanks!

We have considered most of your tips. No success yet though!

We suspect that we might have an inappropriate version of the JDBC driver; the JDBC driver does not match the Oracle database version.
Database version is 11.2.0.3
JDBC driver version is 11.1.0.6.0

This is a recommendation from Oracle

We will try it out.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Scorpex Absent Member..
Absent Member..

We ran into this issue with one of our users and even though this may seem silly the issue was that the user's laptop was connecting to a different WiFi which was not behind our firewall which was causing the loss of connection.

We ended up removing that network from the users profile and it solved the issue.

Thought I'd share my experience since it happened last week.

Hope it helps!

Mig

0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor..

Thanks for above suggestions, weve tried them. No success yet.

Upgrading JDBC driver did not fix it. We have a case at HP, lets see what happens.

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

We still suffer from this problem even on Oracle 12 in test environment, have tried lots of stuff, changed MTU size in windows, jdbc drivers, etc etc, if someone have some more tip it would be nice, seems like the problem increase with load. Maybe some issue with loadbalancing and application server grabbing stale connections from pool? Have no idea...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.