rongage Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can't install Migrate

Hi all:

I have been fighting the installation of Migrate all morning and have not made much progress.

The show stopper I am running into: I can't get migrate to talk-to or validate credentials on the database.

The specific error message: Unable to connect to Microsoft SQL server.

The SQL server (SQL 2016) is on a separate machine. I have SSMS installed on the server I am also trying to install Migrate on. SSMS can connect to that remote SQL server without ANY issue - thus eliminating both SQL server configuration as well as the network as the issue. Just for grins, I tried using FQDN as well as IP address to identify the database - no difference.

I have also tried using SQL Express - both the packaged version that came with the Platespin installer as well as the version downloadable from Microsoft. I can connect to that instance with SSMS no problem but not with the Platespin Installer.

What on Earth can I possibly be missing here?

Ron
0 Likes
2 Replies
rongage Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Can't install Migrate

OK - just for giggles, I tried intentionally putting in the wrong password on the installer and it indeed comes up with "Password Authentication Failed".

Alrighty then - if I get the password wrong then I get an authentication failed message. Fair enough. However, if I put the correct password in, I get the Unable to connect error.

What the heck????

Ron
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Can't install Migrate

rongage;2485881 wrote:
OK - just for giggles, I tried intentionally putting in the wrong password on the installer and it indeed comes up with "Password Authentication Failed".

Alrighty then - if I get the password wrong then I get an authentication failed message. Fair enough. However, if I put the correct password in, I get the Unable to connect error.

What the heck????

Ron

Is MSSQL configured as a named instance: https://www.netiq.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7009809

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.