Option to disable Windows Update

Idea ID 2781578

Option to disable Windows Update

As a patch administrator if I am using ZENworks Patch Management I want there to be an option to have ZENworks disable the Windows Update service so that only patches that I deploy through ZPM are being applied to my devices.

Happy Path:
1) At the zone, folder or device level I can set a setting to disable Windows update
2) On refresh the device disables the Windows update agent so that only patches deployed through ZENworks are available.
3 Comments
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
I guess I fail to see why this should be a dedicated, separate function of ZEN, when it's a normal option of a group policy?
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
We disable Windows updates via GPO on our managed workstations, however, we have a growing number of workstations which are owned by a 3rd party vendor which have the ZCM Agent install for the purpose of deploying patches only. Our practice for handling these workstations is that they have our AV and patching solutions in order to be placed on our network. These workstations are not managed in any other way in our environment so having the ability to disable Windows updates from ZEN, would be helpful if the vendor has failed to do so.
New Member.
You can create a registry bundle to apply to those computers via zcm to disable Windows updates.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.