Schedule patch deployment on shutdown

Idea ID 2787467

Schedule patch deployment on shutdown

Windows Update/WSUS deploys patches on shutdown. This is the most convenient way to deploy patches without disturbing users.
ZPM needs the same.
7 Comments
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
But a notification/choice remains necessary to give the choice to the user, to deploy now or latter on. Imagine a user needs to "quickly" reboot his machine for any reason, then pops the message "installing x of y patch do not shutdown..." ... and have to wait 😞
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I built a workaround with a bundle: 1. Lock the screen (to prevent other people than the user to work on the workstation while installing) 2. Install all the patch policies 3. Shut down the workstation You only have to "train" users to USE this function. I named this bundle "Install updates and shutdown" (and used a red switch-off-icon) - so nobody can complain about a slow restart behavior due to running updates. I recommend to always use this bundle when finishing one's daily work. However - who not uses the bundle is "suffering" from patch installation during work hours (no WOL possible) - so all workstations receive the needed updates.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
I've just released this cool solution https://www.novell.com/communities/coolsolutions/applying-zenworkspatchmanagement-policies-shutdown/ that talks about how to use Windows shutdown scripts to implement this functionality.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
In ZENworks 2020, we have added a Patch on Shutdown option to the Patch policy enforcement schedule. ZENworks 2020 is in beta now with an anticipated release in Q3 2019.
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
Darrin, great - thank you. Any chance this would work on a scheduled restart as well? Think about patching Windows virtual machines that are always up...
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Ditto and ditto - fantastic progress with 2020 and the idea of a scheduled restart would be fantastic!
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
ZENworks 2020 has shipped. Check out the Patch on Shutdown option. Kevin and Bruce, any shutdown/restart triggers the patching. Do you want the Patch on Shutdown setting to include an option to schedule the restart or are you scheduling the restart another way. Drop me an email and give me more info: zen@microfocus.com
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.