iwu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Patch Bundle Content

Where can I find the content of a patch bundle?

Background:
In the past, patch management has automatically installed Dotnet 4.6.2. This has not been done for some time.
When I looked at the bundle, I saw that the content points to a directory on the server where nothing exists. (Var / opt / Novell / content-repo / tmp / zpm / ndp462-KB3151800-x86-x64-Allos ENU.exe)
When I looked at a few other patch bundles, they also use the Temp directory (var / opt / novell / content-repo / tmp / zpm /).
Therefore, I am a bit unsure if there is a problem with the content or the problem of non-execution is different.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Patch Bundle Content

The Path is actually meaningless.
That is where the content was when the Patch was packaged into the Content-Repo system.
Those files will be removed after packaging is complete.

In regard to .NET 4.6.2, I would not be worried if it is NOT installing.
I would have been worried if it WAS installing.

.NET .4.6.2 was superseded by 4.70, then 4.71, and then again by 4.7.2.
.NET 4.7.2 includes .NET 4.6.x along with all of the most recent fixes for 4.6.x along with new code for 4.7.x features.

Any devices that don't have 4.7.2 installed are not running the latest 4.6.x code.
Most Likely, 4.6 is not installing because the devices already have 4.6 via having 4.7.

Any Software that "Requires" 4.6.2 but won't work with 4.7.2 is a bug in that software and the vendor should fix.

MicroFocus Desktop Containers can be used to build virtual apps.
It is particularly useful for apps that require very old software or may depend upon a bug and won't work with current patch releases.

Often stuff such as having a Website that needs FireFox 25 and Jave 1.4 for example...
0 Likes
iwu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you for the info.
I had already suspected something like that.
What I do not understand now is why in the past 4.6.2 was automatically distributed via ZPM, but 4.7.2 not?
That means I need to create a bundle that installs 4.7.2 ?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

#1 - I'm not a ZPM Expert...I spend most of my time supporting other portions of the product...

With the above said, normally it is recommended to use "Patch Policies" so that as new patches are released....they are automatically applied to your devices.

For Example, for .NET what you want currently is.....

2018-11 Preview of Quality Rollup for .NET 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Win 8.1 (KB4467226)
Impact Recommended
Status Enabled
Vendor Microsoft Corp.
Released On Nov-27-2018
Vendor Product ID KB4467226

--
Next month, there will be a NEWER .NET Patch...they ship almost every month...and often more frequently than that....

The Patch Policy will be configured to perhaps apply all "Recommended MS Windows Patches" that are Greater than 14 days old.
By Setting to something such as 14 days, you avoid an issue where MS issues and quickly pulls back a patch due to an issue with the patch.
Generally if its has been out in the wild for a couple of weeks, it is less likely to be a CRITICAL issue with the patch.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: The above was for Windows 8.1....Windows 7 has a different KB but same patch.

For Windows 10, I believe it is included as part of the mothly "Cumulative Updates" instead of a stand-alone patch.
0 Likes
iwu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, in Win10 it is part of the Monthly Updates.

In Win7 it is a software installer package. This means that you can not distribute it via a patch policy (as far as I know). Only critical and recommended patches are possible.
Once installed on the devices, the ZPM .Net Framework Policy will work and the monthly updates will be distributed in the future.

Now I have made a .Net 4.7.2 bundle via ZPM (Deploy Remediation) and i will distribute it to our devices after a short test time.

Many thanks for the help.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.