bradshawc
New Member.

Patches not appearing for devices

We are having problems getting Patch Management started. Description of the problem can be found here:

https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/508037-Custom-patches-not-appearing?p=2481902#post2481902

Information requested by CRAIGDWILSON:

• Current ZCM Version: 17.0.0.0 (only 1 primary, no satellites...same problem exists if upgraded to 2017 Update 2a as well).
  • It was not upgraded from a previous version, it was installed fresh.
  • The OS is SLES 12 SP 2.
  • The database is the embedded Sybase.

The core issue is that after creating patch policies and applying patch policy to a device, no patches appear for the device, though the device is out of date with software (for example, LibreOffice). We are getting an error message in Patch Management -> Dashboard -> Patches which says "Failed to download subscription". We have not entered any information in the "Patch Subscription Credentials" area of Configuration -> Patch Management -> Subscription Service Settings (not sure if that matters). As of right now, there is only one Workstation registered with Zenworks, though we have tried as many as three different machines, all without success. The one machine currently registered is a Windows 7 32 bit machine.

I will set the server to Debug and collect the logs after this post and then re-run the Subscription Service

The Zenworks server has a direct path through the network Firewall (no proxy set) and can reach the Internet (including loading various websites) otherwise.

The ZPM License is Valid and does not expire until 2019.

Thank you so much for any help or direction you can provide, it is greatly appreciated! I will be sending you a PM with the information requested in #1. Thanks again!
0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Patches not appearing for devices

I will ask you to upload the logs once collected....will say where in an email....
Also can you confirm that the ZCC shows the license as valid.....I know you said its valid...but important that ZCC reads it properly.....now and then there can be issues where a license is not read properly and does not show properly in the ZCC.

May not look much until next week....as I'm travelling this week...........
0 Likes
bradshawc
New Member.

First of all, thank you for the quick response.

When I go to Configuration -> Product Licensing -> Zenworks 2017 Patch Management, here is what I see :

[table="width: 700, class: grid, align: left"]

Description
Status
Serial Number
Vendor
Expiration
Purchased

ZENworks Patch Management
Valid
"Serial Number"
Novell
7/31/19 12:00 AM

[/table]

If there is some place else I need to check, I can do so.

No problem on the next week thing, we just appreciate any help at all.
0 Likes
bradshawc
New Member.

I tried to send this in a PM, but apparently the PM box is full:

I'm trying to grab the logs, but after running the zeninfocollect.py script, and after hitting the "Update Now" button found at Configuration -> Patch Management -> Subscription Service Settings, I still do not have the rdy.txt, pkglist.txt or log.txt files in the %ZENWORKS_HOME%/zpm/ directory. Perhaps I am doing something incorrectly or incompletely?

I do have the loader-messages.log and the catalina.out files. Should I wait to upload those until I can get the three files I am not currently seeing?

Also, in the loader-messages.log, I am seeing this:

[TRACE] [06/06/2018 09:43:06.153] [1685] [ZENLoader] [182] [] [Loader.PatchSubscriptionService] [] [PatchSubscription: Failed get content ] [] [] [] [ZENServer]
[TRACE] [06/06/2018 09:43:06.153] [1685] [ZENLoader] [182] [] [Loader.PatchSubscriptionService] [] [java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/opt/novell/zenworks/content-repo/content/importData/6784eb02afdb049417fbe66e91ba7725.import (Permission denied)

As I said in the other poster's thread, I followed the instructions to change the location of the content-repo (our Zenworks is virtualized in ESXi and we added an old disk to this install which already had our images on it...and I have no idea why I didn't think to mention that like I should have). Even though I followed the instructions, including the command to change ownership of the directory to zenworks:zenworks, I noticed that the owner of the "content" directory in the "content-repo" directory was casaatsd:zenworks. I ran the chown command and made sure zenworks:zenworks is the owner of all the directories in the content-repo. This fixed the "Failed to download subscription" error. However, I still am not seeing any patches and it has been a couple of hours since I made the change in ownership and clicked the "Update Now" button. I have not created any new patch policies since changing ownership.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Nice Work Brad!!

What you will need to do is run a "DAU" Scan on your devices to discover which patches are needed by which devices.
After that is done....then you will start seeing patches.
By Default, ZCM will only download patches that are needed by devices in your system.

Now that your subscription is downloading, you should have a good "Discover Applicable Updates" bundle that can run on your devices to check for needed patches.
This bundle is generally updated every evening (or darn close) to contain the details about new patch info.

Once devices run this....upload their scan results.....the next time ZCM does a subscription update it will grab patches reported as being needed.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: There are two scripts you can run on Linux.....
/opt/novell/zenworks/bin/permissions.sh and /opt/novell/zenworks/bin/core-permissions.sh

These will go through and Fix MOST ownership and permission issues..........
0 Likes
bradshawc
New Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2482189 wrote:
Nice Work Brad!!

What you will need to do is run a "DAU" Scan on your devices to discover which patches are needed by which devices.
After that is done....then you will start seeing patches.
By Default, ZCM will only download patches that are needed by devices in your system.

Now that your subscription is downloading, you should have a good "Discover Applicable Updates" bundle that can run on your devices to check for needed patches.
This bundle is generally updated every evening (or darn close) to contain the details about new patch info.

Once devices run this....upload their scan results.....the next time ZCM does a subscription update it will grab patches reported as being needed.

Hey Craig, thanks for the information. Sorry it's taken a while to get back to this, but it's just been crazy at work.

I did see the DAU bundle, which is new since the fix mentioned in my last post, however I'm still not seeing patches. Do I have to run the DAU bundle manually and, if so, how?

I am getting this error message (several times) on the device now, which I did not get before:

There is an error in cached information for id Discover Applicable Updates Windows-x86-en-WIN7sp1 The content is not yet available to download.

Additionally, when I go into the Devices -> Relationships screen, it says the Deployment Status is "Failure" on the "Discover Applicable Updates Windows-x86-en-WIN7sp1" assigned bundle. The "Probable Cause" in the "Details" is the same message as above.

I've made sure the time on the server was correct, as I saw that was something recommended in another (older thread). Is the error above why I'm not seeing patches? Or is there something else our school needs to do that we're not yet doing?

Again, I appreciate any and help!
CRAIGDWILSON;2482190 wrote:
Note: There are two scripts you can run on Linux.....
/opt/novell/zenworks/bin/permissions.sh and /opt/novell/zenworks/bin/core-permissions.sh

These will go through and Fix MOST ownership and permission issues..........

I ran the first script, but the second script wanted me to use an option with it and I couldn't figure out what I needed to do.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

How Many Primary Servers in your Zone?
Do you have Satellite Servers that act as Content Servers?

I'm wondering if your devices are only pointing to Sats for Content and the Content for the DAU Bundle is not replicating to your Satellite Servers when the agents try and run it.
Clearly your devices are trying....but failing....
0 Likes
bradshawc
New Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2482429 wrote:
How Many Primary Servers in your Zone?
Do you have Satellite Servers that act as Content Servers?

I'm wondering if your devices are only pointing to Sats for Content and the Content for the DAU Bundle is not replicating to your Satellite Servers when the agents try and run it.
Clearly your devices are trying....but failing....

1 Primary only, no satellite servers.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

What is the Current Version of ZCM?
There are some known "Content" bugs in 17.0 and 17.1 that could cause this issue.
Fixed in Update 2.

Some patches may exist for older versions....if i knew the exact current version.
Keep in mind...we are on to a 2nd issues....so the original comment about it happening in 17.2 as well would not apply.
0 Likes
bradshawc
New Member.

CRAIGDWILSON;2482506 wrote:
What is the Current Version of ZCM?
There are some known "Content" bugs in 17.0 and 17.1 that could cause this issue.
Fixed in Update 2.

Some patches may exist for older versions....if i knew the exact current version.
Keep in mind...we are on to a 2nd issues....so the original comment about it happening in 17.2 as well would not apply.

Right now, it is just base Zenworks 2017, no updates or patches. I will try to update directly to 17.2a (hopefully tomorrow) and then I'll report back with either success or failure. Thanks!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: The specific issues I'm worried about for the specific issue are in Server Side Code...not agent.....
0 Likes
bradshawc
New Member.

Had a little server trouble with the host Zenworks was on, but finally got everything going again.

It appears as if the upgrade to 17.2a has done the trick (in addition to getting directory ownership correct). I am now seeing patches listed for my device. I'll do some testing to make sure everything is working, but it appears as if things are looking up.

If I don't post again, then everything is working. Thank you SOOO much Craig for all your help and guidance. It turns out it may simply have been a couple of little things, but you definitely got us going in the right direction. Thanks again!
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Great News!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.