Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

See Devices Awaiting Reboot

Hi,

If we deploy patches to automatically install on servers, but we suppress reboots, is there a dashboard/report/workflow we can follow to see which devices are requiring/awaiting a reboot?

Regards,

Anthony

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: See Devices Awaiting Reboot

I don't believe there is anything built into the product that does that.

I've spend about 10 seconds pondering your question, so no doubt there are other solutions but......

One could do something such as set a bundle to run on device boot that actually has few if any actual actions.  Then you could use a dashlet to see any devices that have NOT restarted since patch day.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for 10 seconds of your time 🙂

I also wonder if ZPM drops (or could be configured to drop) a file somewhere that indicates that it needs a reboot... that could be read or tracked...

Anthony

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

See - https://adamtheautomator.com/pending-reboot-registry-windows/

There is a table that shows many keys that indicate a reboot is required.  I can't vouch that  the list is 100% exhaustive, but it looks to be so.  Most likely, you could get by just checking a couple key ones such as PendingFileRename and the PendingReboot ones..

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

So in theory, if you had an assigned bundle with SYSREQs for those.....you could see which of your devices are in a non-reboot state.  Only issue is you would not know if it was from Windows Updates or other items.  It could be combined with the above to know the last time a device rebooted.

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Note: apparently Snoozelist.xml has some details that would be useful.

https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/novell-zcm/Idea/Detail/731

Note: I'm not really sure of the details of the XML.  But you may be able to fiddle with reading that and putting the value in a more usable place.

And maybe vote for the idea and make comments.

--
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

That list is fairly correct.  I have used most of those keys in a powershell script to check on reboot status.

Jim

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I did something similar to check my workstations for a pending reboot:

Like suggested I have a bundle with requirements set, I started with the same website but found another one we have a really need for:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager , SystemUpdateOnBoot=1

I found this one to be useful after applying Cumulative Updates with ZPM.

My current bundle I made to have some action, however, like I do for other bundles, I can use a copy without any actions just to get a list of devices that fit the requirements 😉

Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Thanks for all the tips.  One of my team created this setup:

1 - Created a ZCM bundle that creates a folder on the server if the reg key "KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\RebootPending" exists

2 - Our network monitoring system (Adrem's NetCrunch) monitors the servers for the existence of this folder, and alerts us if it exists (so we know we need to go a reboot the servers)

3 - A second ZCM bundle that deletes the folder created by the first bundle, if the rebootpending reg key is no longer present.

So far, it's working well for us.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You could simplify it further....

Create a Single bundle with a SYSREQ for 

"KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\RebootPending" exists

To either Exist or Not Exist (Your Choice...)

Then Simply Monitor the "Effective" Status of that bundle........to see which servers do or do not need a reboot.

--
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.