dxw Contributor.
Contributor.

patch deployment

my windows 7 professional 64 bit PC's hang when a patch deployment is run for windows updates. I have found that deleting the deployment result XML file fixes the issue for 3 or 4 weeks. I have ZCM 17.4.1

0 Likes
1 Reply
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: patch deployment

I don't know what you mean about "Hang".

Deleting this file will cause any "Quarantined' patches to try and reapply.  If a specific patch repeatedly fails to apply to a device, it will eventually "quarantine" itself so the PC does not keep trying to apply a patch that is not working on a device.  This allows a technician to then go and troubleshoot why a particular Software Patch will not work on a specific device.  Generally this is about that Device and that Software patch and nothing to do with ZCM.

Futhermore, if the XML file gets "Corrupt", it may prevent future patches from being applied by your policies.  Deleting the file allows it to be recreated and allow patch to work normally again.  I would not expect frequent corruption, but there is a patch for 17.4 or later that will add self-healing to this XML.  Contacting support would be necessary.  The fix is expected to be in ZCM 2020 when it is released...Most likely in Late September.

If the entire OS is hanging.....I don't have any theory about that.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.