Highlighted
raronson Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

windows 10 update to version 1903?

Jump to solution

We have ZCM with patch management for 180 windows 10 desktops. I was told recently I need to force an update from the installed release which is 1709 to 1903. Is there a way to deploy that update via ZPM? I very much do not want to enable Microsoft WSUS or enable the Microsoft patch engine.

Any advice would be a great help.  I can open an incident with support if that makes sense.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: windows 10 update to version 1903?

Jump to solution

See - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ZENworks-Tips-Information/Deploying-Windows-10-Feature-Updates-via-ZENworks-Patch/ta-p/1783619

Note: I would recommend ZCM Agent 17.4 or later, since that fixes an issue were ZCM Volatile User Cleanup at Reboot Confused the OS Upgrader as it upgraded profiles, causing it to rollback the upgrade.

Note: There first part of the article talks about creating the bundle.  There is not really a need to then make it into a patch.  Most folks just deliver it as a bundle.

Note2: If you will be distributing the 1903 Install files from the Content-Repo instead of installing from a share, the following tip will help with huge content bundles such as the OS Upgrade.....

#1 – Expand the ISO media to something such a C:\1903.   Zip the C:\1903

Folder using the “STORE” algorithm, since the files will only compress slightly and the added cost of decompressing is too high for the very small gain.

#2 -  Upload the 1903.zip to the content Repo as Single File w/o compression as you were doing to upload the extracted ISO in the past.  (Note: I use 7zip)

This should process MUCH faster and download MUCH faster to agents.

#3 -  Use a Bundle to Distribute the File to C:\Temp\1903.zip (Or Similar) location.  (This should be relatively fast...ZCM is slow decompressing its own files due to algorithm used and is slow handling 1000s of individual

files.)

#4 – Use a Batch File Script Action to Decompress the file:  powershell.exe Expand-Archive -Path c:\temp\1903.zip  -DestinationPath c:\temp\1903Upgrade

#5 – The batch can then have the command to delete 1903.zip and then launch the setup.exe with desired parameters.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

See - https://community.microfocus.com/t5/ZENworks-Tips-Information/Deploying-Windows-10-Feature-Updates-via-ZENworks-Patch/ta-p/1783619

Note: I would recommend ZCM Agent 17.4 or later, since that fixes an issue were ZCM Volatile User Cleanup at Reboot Confused the OS Upgrader as it upgraded profiles, causing it to rollback the upgrade.

Note: There first part of the article talks about creating the bundle.  There is not really a need to then make it into a patch.  Most folks just deliver it as a bundle.

Note2: If you will be distributing the 1903 Install files from the Content-Repo instead of installing from a share, the following tip will help with huge content bundles such as the OS Upgrade.....

#1 – Expand the ISO media to something such a C:\1903.   Zip the C:\1903

Folder using the “STORE” algorithm, since the files will only compress slightly and the added cost of decompressing is too high for the very small gain.

#2 -  Upload the 1903.zip to the content Repo as Single File w/o compression as you were doing to upload the extracted ISO in the past.  (Note: I use 7zip)

This should process MUCH faster and download MUCH faster to agents.

#3 -  Use a Bundle to Distribute the File to C:\Temp\1903.zip (Or Similar) location.  (This should be relatively fast...ZCM is slow decompressing its own files due to algorithm used and is slow handling 1000s of individual

files.)

#4 – Use a Batch File Script Action to Decompress the file:  powershell.exe Expand-Archive -Path c:\temp\1903.zip  -DestinationPath c:\temp\1903Upgrade

#5 – The batch can then have the command to delete 1903.zip and then launch the setup.exe with desired parameters.

--
Please give a hearty thumbs up to any post you find helpful!
To find articles by Craig Wilson simply follow the link: Craig Wilson's Tips!

View solution in original post

raronson Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Brilliant as always Craig. Thanks 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.