Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Outstanding Contributor.. cmcn2016 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Non-Operational Hosts

I have been looking at trouble shooting guides and the Performance Center communities on the HPE website, but so far none of my efforts have led to a lasting solution to the issue we’re seeing.

Basically, some of our load generators randomly have started to go into a ‘non-operational’ status. The errors in the event logs indicate that some of the services may have stopped but when we checked this out, all relevant services appear to be running as normal.

One of my colleagues who was investigating the issue while I was on vacation tried the below:

Logged on to the LG servers which failed connection with our  service account, accessed http://performancecenter/qcbin/addins.html and added the following add-ins

HP ALM Connectivity

HP ALM Lab Service

HP ALM Client Registration

After this, he reconfigured the troublesome hosts and they returned to ‘operational’ status. He was then able to run a health check on each host and they all passed.

The trouble is, that after some time the hosts started to fall into a non-operational state once again. The only thing we changed was to change the running of the LR Agent service to run as a process instead. This was to allow us to run more than 15 Tru Client users.

Can anyone please assist or advise us? Thanks!

0 Likes
12 Replies
Daniela_G Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Non-Operational Hosts

Hello cmcn2016,

Usually when this kind of errors occured, you need to check that all services are up and runing, as you mentioned that you verified them, in that case, what you can do is to use the IUSR_METRO on the services.

Another thing that you need to check are the versions, all the components PC Server, ALM, PC Host should be on the same compatible version in order to work properly.

Also, could be related to an installation issue. in some cases is good to reinstall it again.

Do you have the IIS on the host?

Could you please share with me the exact error message that you are facing from the logs? especifically from the wlrun log

What if you run a test from the wlrun using one of the host that comes non-operational, are you able to execute it with no issues?

Another possible cause of this is to have the Data Execution Prevention on, and also the User Account Control (This one is better if you disable it directly from the registry key) and if you have firewall.

Hopefully this helps you a little bit more

Regards,

Daniela Gómez Alvarado
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes

Ok, we are using the same version (12.50) on all components.

so I checked one one of my troublesome hosts:

RemoteManagement Agent service is running.

Data Collection Agent is running.

Performance Center Load Testing service is running.

I cannot see Performance Center Agent service though???

IIS is on the host but it is not configured.

Where can I find the wlrun log file?

DEP is on and UAC is disabled.

0 Likes

FYI - One of your hosts has just became non operational again.

The error in the event log says:

Fail to recover Host server122. Reason: Failed to connect to load generator server122. Verify that Performance Center Agent Service is running on the load generator.

But I cannot see that service when I look in Admin Tools -> Services.

0 Likes
Shlomi Nissim Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

First, do not re-install anything. It is a lot of effort and requires a good reason before doing so

You mentioned earlier that the Performance Center agent was changed from service to process. it explains why you cannot see Performance Center agent service.

If you need to configure the agent as process you must ensure the machine stays logged on since running the agent as process requires it. You can lock the computer though. Did you log off by mistake?

Also, if you configure the agent as process please do not try to re-configure host from the lab, it will revert the configuration of the agent back to service if I am not mistaken.

Finally, please open a support ticket to get help.

Regards,

Shlomi. Performance Center R&D

Thank you Shlomi.

That is getting close to what I believe could be causing this issue for us.

1. Our testers requested that some of our LG's be configured to run as a process. (I did this via Performance Center Agent Run Time Settings - ticked Manual log in to this machine) in order to use Tru Client protocol.

2. But, I believe our testers were not logged into the machines when they tried to set up their tests and run them.

3. To compund matters, I believe that our testers were then also reconfiguring the troublesome hosts via Lab Manager.

-> what we need to do is advise our testers to be fully logged into each host that we have set to run as process before they configure and run their tests? Also, do not log out at any time until tests are completed? We can however lock the servers though?

0 Likes

I also have a case open - 5317815895.

We are having a webex session this morning to see if we can clarify the issue and resolve it. I will update the thread later.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Glad to hear you already have a WebEx scheduled. 

I suggest not letting the testers the control over the configuration. Make sure the machines are logged on, configured with agent as process and locked. Also, either prevent them from reconfiguring the hosts or instruct them not to do so.

Good luck,

Shlomi,

Performance Center R&D Manager

Thank you Shlomi,

that is pretty much the approach we took yesterday.

The testers gave me a list of servers they intended to use for their testing which required the hosts to be running as a process.

So I logged into each one and set them to run as a process, then locked the RDP session and exited.

The testing appears to have gone a lot smoother.

Thanks a lot for your advice on this one.

0 Likes

One thing I forgot to ask, how do we restrict users from having the ability to reconfigure hosts in lab manager or via performance center? Is this something we need to configure via Site Admin?

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi,

Permissions can be set from ALM .NET client > Login to the relevant project > Go to customization area from the "Customize" menu item which appears in the settings menu on the top right part of the screen > Groups and Permissions > select the releavnt group and edit its' permissions under the Lab resources tab.

In order to know which group is assigned to which user you should search for the users in the Proejct Users section.

Appl ythe changes by clicking on the return link located on the tip right side of the screen.

Regards,

Shlomi

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. Jeff N Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

We had a similar issue with the load generators over firewall going non-operational multiple times per day with PC 12.50 patch 1.  After several months, HP R&D provided a new launcher.dll and two_way_comm.dll for the MI Listener which fixed the issue.  This was worked under support ticket 5314087465.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. veeru24 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Was this issue resolved, can you please let us know hat was done to avoid this.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.