Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Kris Carlson
New Member.

10 things wrong with HP ALM

You would think that a product that has been around for over 20 years would have all the bugs worked out. Not so much.

1. Columns are not sortable or filterable.
  2. Needs a modern ribbon interface for modern, higher-resolution monitors.
    1. The menu is too thin and the labels too small
    2. The icons are too small and too close together
  3. Need to be able to import Text or CSV files for Requirements, Test Plans, Test Lab, and Defects
  4. Need to be able to copy or move items from the Test Plan to the Test Lab (drag and drop)
  5. Need to be able to copy or move items from Test Plan subfolders to other Test Plan subfolders (drag and drop)
  6. Need to be able to copy or move items from Test Lab subfolders to other Test Lab subfolders (drag and drop)
  7. Need to be able to select multiple items and attach them to the defect. Currently the user can only attach one item at a time.
  8. Need to be able to past text from Microsoft OneNote into the New Defect Description box; it thinks the OneNote text is an image file. (We can copy it into the Summary, select it, and then copy it onto the Description box. But we cannot copy and paste it directly.)
  9. Need a Rich Text editor in the Comments and Description box.
  10. The filter logic needs to be enhanced. The following should be functionally equivalent, even though only the first currently works.
    1. Not (Closed Or Deferred)
    2. Not Closed or Not Deferred

Bonus Items

1. ALM cannot count/sort numbers properly. The series 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 1.10 becomes 1.1, 1.10, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9. The user has to manually prepend zeros so it will sort properly.
  2. After linking defects to requirements, when you create test steps from the requirements the defects aren't linked to the new test steps.
  3. Their are Checkin and Checkout buttons, but there is no Cancel Checkout button. (There is if you right click and bring up the context menu, but there is no option on the main menu.)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
12 Replies
sheyenne Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: 10 things wrong with HP ALM

I am sorry but I am baffled at your comments. What version of ALM are you using and are you sure that the things you are unable to do is because of the restrictions implemented in your ALM environment? Because I am for sure able to do most of the things you pointed out.  I've used ALM from since it was in TestDirector to Quality Center and now to ALM version 12.

1. Columns can be sorted using the Select Columns menu.

2. You can adjust the resolution on your screen.

3. this is your own requirement.  For our ALM implmentation. We don't want our users to load the ALM repositories with files since they ought to NOT to store them in ALM, rather in a document repository outside of ALM. And since we cannot control the file size of what users can attach, it is all the better that we don't allow users this option.  We have had issues with overgrown projects and not allowing them to upload/import files is good.

4. The ability to copy tests from Test Plan to Test Lab does not make sense, since you are creating test sets in the TEst Lab and you have a mechanism to add those tests in the TEst PLan to the test sets. So I don't understand the concept of copying or moving tests from Test Plan to Lab.

5. We can totally copy/move folders/tests around in the Test Plan module folder hierarchy

6. We can totally copy/move folders/test around in the Test Lab module folder hierarchy

7. I don't support this requirement. Why would you attach the same file to multiple defects? why are there multiple defects for that matter? And isn't that a bit excessive or a waste of space?

8. This is a customer requirement. I, for instance, don't care about this :)

9. Isn't it rich text already?

10. Ok. Not a big deal for us.

Bonus Items:

11. Yes I agree with this - they need to fix it.

12. I don't know why it needs to be linked to the steps. We only track it from test to requirement

13. there should be an undo checkout but only project admins can do this.

Acclaimed Contributor.. Jan Czajkowski Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

I think you are bold, stating so many issues without really examining them closer :-)

I agree with most of Sheyenne's comments. Just a few additions:

1. Perhaps you hid the column headers so you did not notice you can filter from them directly? Moreover, in the latest version of ALM you can change the sort order just by toggling the column headers.

4. The statement "Need to be able to copy or move items from the Test Plan to the Test Lab (drag and drop)" does not make sense, since the Test Lab test instance is not the same thing as the Test Plan test case. But you can actually create the test instances by drag-and-drop from the Test Plan tree section of the window. Try it!

10. It is your own logic that is flawed. "Not (Closed Or Deferred)" does not equal "Not Closed or Not Deferred". But it does equal "Not Closed AND Not Deferred".

Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]
Kris Carlson
New Member.

HP Application Lifecycle Management
Application Lifecycle Management Edition 11.52.536

Internal Components Build

OTA Client 11.52.536.0
User Interface 11.52.536.0
WebGate Client 11.52.536.0
Test Run Scheduler 11.52.536.0
Site Administration Client Not Available
Sprinter 11.50.536
Analysis Extension 11.50.536
Quality Center 11.50.536
Service Test Management Extension 11.50.01331
ALM Lab Extension for functional and performance testing11.50.1230

You cannot sort the columns., at least not in my version.

The arrow for the filter shows up in the text box, not the column header where I expected it to be. I'll give you that one. But the filter is absurdly unintuitive.

The User Interface is dated, and no effort has been made to improve the user experience. This causes a steep learning curve, and the learning curve is one of the reasons some companies are moving away from ALM.

One of my issues with ALM is that you have to learn to do things the way their engineers think you should do them. If you don't know the "trick", you can't get your work done. This is not the case with other systems. For example, most applications have the Checkin, Checkout, and Undo Checkout buttons readily available. In ALM, the Undo Checkout button is hidden in a context menu, and there is no way to manually add it to the icon bar. (See the screenshot added with the original post.)

What's up with the dependence on Active X, an inherently insecure technology? ALM restricts me to one of the worst browsers on the market today, which contributes to the poor performance I sometimes experience.

ALM opens in a browser, as does this forum. This forum has a rich set of controls for entering information, while ALM is restricted to an absurdly limited feature set. If I copy formatted text into ALM, it preserves some of the formatting without letting me change it.

0 Likes
Kris Carlson
New Member.

>7. I don't support this requirement. Why would you attach the same file to multiple defects? why are there multiple defects for >that matter? And isn't that a bit excessive or a waste of space?

I didn't say I wanted to copy a single file to multiple defects. I want to attach multiple files to a single defect. Currently I can do it only one at a time. ALM is one of the few products I've ever dealt with that has the one-at-a-time limitation. 

0 Likes
sheyenne Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

ALM is not a file-storage repository tool so I don't see the ability to load multiple files at a time to be a prime required feature of the application.  Besides, loading ALM projects with files proves detrimental to the performance of the tool.  ALM doesn't have the ability to control the size of a project and as such the project can be overgrown which will cause issues in the long run.

0 Likes
Vladimir Skrbek Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I know that this is old but I have to say that I have to agree with Sheyenne and Jan, they answer all your question. Just try it.

Note: even in your version ALM 11 there was possibility to sort. See the manual and filter settings, tab View order.

Also ALM was changin its graphics (from QC 10, to ALM 11 to ALM 12) so it is more cute for tudays people :-).

0 Likes
Kris Carlson
New Member.

The underlying problem is a usability issue. It's clear that HP ALM was written by software engineers who seemingly never interacted with a user. It is clear that HP never ran usability studies, or at least never learned from them. The UI is a mess, and HP's response to an honest critique is to insult the user. They are unwilling to accept user feedback, uninterested in requesting additional information, and uninterested in making their product more user-friendly. 

I speak as someone who has used HP ALM in numerous development projects. I recognize the power of HP ALM, but that power is not as important as usability. Poor usability prevents users from taking advantage of all that power. Although I appreciate what ALM can do, I also realize that for the majority of users, ease of use is more important. Ease of use is why people choose Windows instead of Linux, even though Linux is a more powerful and stable OS.

More importantly, HP ALM was build to support waterfall software development. It can be used to support Agile, but it's not a good fit. I suppose it can be made to support DevOps, but that is not using the tool the way it was intended. I suspect HP knows this, which is the reason for ALM Octane. So, of course, ALM Octane is no longer part of HP. Heavy sigh.

0 Likes
Vladimir Skrbek Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I do not agrre with you. I have another experiance. And I can say that people who stayes behind ALM are trying every year more things that take ALM to the User. 

I have experiance with other big tools and the support is the same. But I use ALM nearly 10 years now. In this time the ALM changed the owner three times. Change the appearance three times. I was part of betaprogram where as a user I could say anythink what I want change and they really hear me.

Also they want to follow current styles so they created HP Agile and then created Octane what is really new, simple solution for both agaile and watterfall development lifecycle of software.

And of course now it is not HP  but no software is HP. All is now Microfocus.

Oren_Ziv_ALM_PM Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Hi Kris, Hi All,

Thank you for this productive thread!

Kris - It seems like you are using an older version of ALM, and as Sheyenne, Jan and Vladimir mentioned here, many of the things are greatly improved on later versions of ALM.

You’re welcome to try our latest version 12.55 where you’ll be able to experience a lot of usability enhancements like: sort columns,  zoom-in, attachment drag&drop and many many more.

For me, as the PM of ALM/QC, the angle of UX is very important. I strongly believe that the end-user is using ALM day after day and that we need to ensure he/she gets the best possible experience.

Of course, you are welcome to try ALM Octane which provides a whole new Web experience and a lot of Agile project capabilities.

I will be more than happy to meet you in person and get all usability feedback that we can consider for our future releases of ALM/QC!

Best,

Oren

Sr. Product Manager

ALM/QC

Add_image_inline_text.jpgUsability: Add image inline with text. Many more in 12.x

0 Likes
Damodar-Reddy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Kris,

I Agree, there might be 10 things wrong with this but a MILLION things are better with this. 

I Dis-Agree on your basic complaints & I suspect they were not fully validated from you, 

Cross check the level of Customizations, Integrity, Sustainability with other tools (you must have something in your mind) with QC is up on a NOTCH ABOVE on it & I seriously vote for QC as a MARKET TEST LEADER tool & it will be. 

QC does support other browser access, it has it's own explorer add-in, registration add-in, excel add-in, what not & I see the R&D team for this tool keep on working on the enhancements submitted & to compete with the market  level changes.

To Understand Life, we need to Live & To understand QC, you need to Love. 

Not quoting on the personnel opinions, but I did liked it from Mercury to Microfocus. 

(If this helped, accept as solution )
(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer)
0 Likes
Damodar-Reddy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Adding concrete proof to the information of my above statements.

Read Here  & Watch Here

(If this helped, accept as solution )
(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer)
0 Likes
Contributor.. iViLouisT Contributor..
Contributor..

Hi Kris,

I hope the previous comments resolved your issues. If they did not, I would be happy to have one of my Bienabee Technologies team members hop on a 30 minute conference call screen share session to walk through your issues and help you resolve them. Depending on your access levels to ALM it is possible that someone added some workflow logic in the back end of the tool to prevent certain actions but we will be able to determine this from the call. As the previous members stated most of your issues are resolved and implemented as features in ALM already. You would also really benefit from upgrading your ALM version as well.

If you're interested in a free mini mentoring session email us at info (at) bienabee.com

Regards,

Louis

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.