Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
pwblanch Contributor.
Contributor.

ALM Client slow responses when selecting drop down lists

Has anyone else experienced slow response times (10-30 seconds) with selecting drop down list in the ALM client?  I have some users who experience this and some who don't.  I can't reproduce this.  I checked the DB, performance and app performance.  All are good.  App servers and DB show no signs of performance problems.  I login to the same project and can never reproduce this. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
sheyenne Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: ALM Client slow responses when selecting drop down lists

Is that list for that particular field in that particular project a long list that perhaps taking time to load in the ALM cache? Or nested perhaps.  Is there workflow code related to the field that is being run at edit of the field? These are some of the factors that I think might cause that. I haven't experienced this myself, narrowing it down to an actual field drop-down list that's taking time to load.

0 Likes
pwblanch Contributor.
Contributor.

• This is for any lists in a project. 
  • The list are between 4 - 10 items.
  • Not nested
  • No workflow code tied to the list

Crazy thing, I can login to the same project and never reproduce the issue. Truly driving me crazy.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I understand that it drives you crazy. I did not find this problem. As sheyenne said, check also the workflow code to the field or to the move to action. 

I have also problem with performance problem and the users tell me that they have two computers and on one of them the filtering of some defects takes 30 seconds and on the second  computer it tooks only 1 second on the same action. 

And I cannot reproduce it too. 

In this situation you chould be carfull and try to reproduce it ask the user every time and try to find out more when it happen.

- in our situation very much time the slowness is caused of crashed ALM client process that is taken 30% of CPU and you open new ALM window and it is slow

- the problem is also very difficult to reproduce because of IE and ALM cache

- the problem is sometime caused by oracle tasks that take more time and others waiting for end of it

- the slownes was sometime done by workflow skripts not optimized

- the slownes was sometime done by a lot of data to show

- just now we find out that there is a problem with auditlog, when the defect, requirement, test, ... entity has a lot of changes in audit log then reading such defects takes too much time.  We have about 30 000 audit log records on one test

- and more

But everything is connected to ALM client so I am not sure but I can bit that the problem is only on ALM client site and how it read and display data from ALM server. Becuase when I see servers they are good and have a lot of resources.

0 Likes
pwblanch Contributor.
Contributor.

I think I figured this out.  Windows 10 build 1703 with KB4500640 causes very bad performance for ALM.  We removed the patch and performance went back to normal.  When we allow that patch to be reapplied, performance becomes bad again.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.