Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
esskay Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ALM Excel Add-in "Unable to connect to the ALM Server. Please check the server URL."

I am currently trying to help our team migrate from very OLD QC10 to ALM12.21. We are trying to do this via excel export/import. I have used the OTA API to create a ALM import ready excel for all the QC test cases. This excel will then be imported into ALM using Office2013 (that the ALM Excel add-in supports). However, I am unable to connect to ALM url via the add-in. I can connect to the same ALM url using IE11 from the same Windows10 system but not from the Add-in. I am at a dead-end unable to debug the issue. I get the message/error "Unable to connect to the ALM server. Please check the server URL" That is the exact wording of the message. I have double/triple checked the ALM url and have my team to check it. It is correct url format. I have scoured the web trying to find anything that might help but found nothing so far. I have installed all the Client Registration components and all the connecivity tools from the HP site as expected but nothing seems to help.

Thanks very much in advance.

0 Likes
21 Replies
Ashwin_N_S Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: ALM Excel Add-in "Unable to connect to the ALM Server. Please check the server URL."

Please uninstall the Excel Add-in and reinstall, try to perform the action.

Did you upgrade your Excel Recently (from Office Version 2010 to 2013)? 

0 Likes
esskay Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ALM Excel Add-in "Unable to connect to the ALM Server. Please check the server URL."

Hi Ashwin - I tried the uninstalling and re-installing already. No I did not upgrade from Office2010 to 2013. I started with Office2013 straight. This is a new Win10 system.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Windows 10 is not a supported operating system for the client, according to the readme file that comes with ALM 12.21. You should try a supported operationg system.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
esskay Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you, Trudy. I'll try that out. 

0 Likes
esskay Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Trudy - I tried this on WIndows7 and did not make any difference. I stil get the same error when I try to log in to ALM 12.21 using ALM Excel Add-in fro Excel2013. 

Thanks,

0 Likes
Ashwin_N_S Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Esskay, can you please share your code with us so that we can help you out much quicker.

Regards,

Ashwin

0 Likes
Angela1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi everyone, I've the same problem on Windows7 (Microsft excel version: 10): i succesfully login to HP QC, but i can't reach the URL from excel add-in.

How can I solve it?

Thank you,

Angela

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Venkat457 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Hello Angela,

Please check if you are using the URL till  qcbin only in the excel add-in server url prompt like http://www.qc.abc.com:8080/qcbin/

We normally use the http://www.qc.abc.com:8080/qcbin/start_a.jsp in the browser which is not supported in the excel add-in prompt and can lead to connection issues through excel.

Venkat
0 Likes
Absent Member.. CH_07 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

I'm facing the same issue as well.

I'm using http://http://www.qc.abc.com:8080/qcbin/ 

Please advice.

0 Likes
L17 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Same error when I try to log in to ALM 12.20 using Excel2010 with ALM Excel Add-in.  But I can login to ALM  without any error using my ID and password.  For the Excel Add-in, I am using https://xxxxx/qcbin/ as the URL.

Please advise.

0 Likes
Clark_Stevo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I had this working last or a couple of weeks ago (last time I used it) on a Windows 10 machine running Office Pro Plus 16 and have imported defects to ALM SaaS using it.  This week I tried to do exactly the same and I get this error message too.  I can log in to the hpe SaaS ALM fine in the browser, just the Excel Add in that can't access the URL like it did a week or 2 ago.

Must be a known issue that needs fixing surely?

0 Likes
Clark_Stevo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It appears there was a new Add In released on 26 Sept 16 (since I last used) so thought this might have been the issue.  Have uninstalled the old version and installed the new version and no different.

Then a helpful colleague pointed out that our company group policy frequently turns on the "use automatic configuration script" check box under LAN settings in internet options.  Once unchecked it worked fine.

Worth a try for anyone having this issue.

gbharani5 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I faced this issue too for a long time and atlast this worked for me.

1. Check the version of the HP ALM Excel plugin installed, it should be the same as of the version of your server.

2.If the versions are different you will get this error

Resolution

1. Install the correct version of the HP ALM Excel Pulgin and then try.

0 Likes
deegeepee Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Same issue here - but I noticed something strange.  If I try login over corporate network, I am unable to , and I receive the "Unable to connect to ALM server" error. ... However, if I do the same over VPN, then I can log in no problem at all.  So it looks like it is internally blocked.  I have tried adding the SAAS url into exceptions list as a trusted site, but even that doesn't work, so has anybody found a fix for this  -  other than always working from home, which I doubt will go down very well    ;-)

version 12.53 SAAS offering from HP, version 12.53 excel add-in (also tried with the older version 12.2+ with exactly the same results)

Always a battle with ALM.  using it since TD version 3/4 back in the 90's, and still finding new issues.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.