Absent Member.. johnskiing Absent Member..
Absent Member..

ALM automatically populates the Responsible Tester column in the Execution Grid

Jump to solution

We are using ALM Quality Center 11.52.

From Test Lab with a test set selected and the Execution Grid tab selected, we click on the Select Tests button, and then import tests from Test Plan into the Execution Grid. The system automatically puts my name (the person who is doing the test cases selection) into the Responsible Tester column/field in the Execution Grid for each test imported. We want the Responsible Tester field to be left blank/unassigned because the person doing the import may not be the tester and in some cases many tests are imported. I have been attempting to update the work flow scripts to clear the Responsible Tester field when the tests are imported, and have only got it to work in a very limited case.

The field name of the Responsible Tester column in the Execution grid is TC_TESTER_NAME. It is a system field under Test Instance in the Project Entities.

By observing the work flow debug output using DebugView (a free debugger I found on the internet), I determined that one value for ActionName while the tests are being added is "TestLabTestsEntitiySelection.AddTestsToTestSet". So I added the work flow subroutine TestLab_ActionExecuted to the testlab script with the code shown at the bottom of this post. This code does clear the Responsible Tester field when a single test is added to a test set that does not yet have tests. If a group of tests is added, only for one is the Responsible Tester field cleared.

I also observed from the work flow debug output that the Test IDs from the tests being imported are passed as parameters to the work flow functions TestSet_CanAddTests and TestLab_TestSet_CanAddTests, for example: TestSet_CanAddTests([5968, 5830, 5956, 5957, 5954, 5955]). The column/field in the Execution Grid for the Test ID is Configuration: Test ID. I think it is system field TSC_TEST_ID under Test Configuration in the Project Entities. My next thought was to update work flow function TestLab_TestSet_CanAddTests to add “TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME").Value = UNASSIGNED” for each Test ID, but how do I map from the Test ID to TestSetTest_Fields?

Sub TestLab_ActionExecuted(ActionName)

PrintDebug "Sub TestLab_ActionExecuted: ActionName = " & ActionName

If ActionName = "TestLabTestsEntitiySelection.AddTestsToTestSet" then

PrintDebug "TC_TESTER_NAME = " & TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME").Value

TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME").Value = UNASSIGNED                                     

PrintDebug "TC_TESTER_NAME = " & TestSetTest_Fields.Field("TC_TESTER_NAME")Value

End If

End Sub

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member..

Re: ALM automatically populates the Responsible Tester column in the Execution Grid

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick reply. Those documentation links will be useful to me for implementing other changes. In this case, I realised that Sub TestLab_TestSetTests_New is called every time a new test set is created so I add it into the testlab script with the command below in it. This works to clear the Responsible Tester field.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Alonso_S_QC Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: ALM automatically populates the Responsible Tester column in the Execution Grid

Jump to solution

Hello Johnskiing,

Thank you for using HPE Forums.

Regarding your questions, a Test set is an instance of a test not the test itself, each Test Set should have a reference to the Test that it belongs. In the Database reference guide you can see that TC_TEST_ID have the reference to the original test.

TC_TEST_ID

The TEST.TS_TEST_ID of the design test of which this is an instance.

int

You can check the database reference if you need it in this page:

http://alm-help.saas.hpe.com/en/Latest/api_refs/project_db/webframe.html

Also you can see the OTA reference in this page:

http://alm-help.saas.hpe.com/en/Latest/api_refs/ota/webframe.html

Finally if you need it in this link you can find the Workflow best practices:

http://alm-help.saas.hpe.com/en/Latest/pdfs/Workflow_Best_Practices.pdf

I hope the information helps you.

Best Regards

Alonso Sequeira Morales
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
hpe.com
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation”
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thank you for the quick reply. Those documentation links will be useful to me for implementing other changes. In this case, I realised that Sub TestLab_TestSetTests_New is called every time a new test set is created so I add it into the testlab script with the command below in it. This works to clear the Responsible Tester field.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.