Highlighted
Established Member.. JoSidarta
Established Member..

Ability to reset/re-order/change the internal field name

Jump to solution

HI,

When you create a custom field within ALM 11.x, 11.52, 12.x, 12.53; HPE ALM automatically generate a new number (for instance: BG_USER_01, BG_USER_02, BG_USER_03, ...

And if you delete one of the custom field, the number cannot be re-used again; it would be nice if we are able to re-use the number / change the internal name, so that we are not introducing a new internal name.

Another thing is, this will be useful if we are about to move linked project from one project template to another project template.

For instance:

- Project Template A is linked to project A1 and A2

- Project Template B is linked to project B1 and B2

If I want to disconnect linkages between A2 and A; and link A2 to B; it won't work; due to mismatch custom field type during cross project customization verification process

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Ability to reset/re-order/change the internal field name

Jump to solution

If you delete a field, the database field slot will be reused again when you add a new field. That is the experience I have had with all versions of TD/QC/ALM. Where do you see the behavior that the field number will not be reused?

The only exception I am aware of is memo fields. A slot that has once been used for a memo field can not be reused for any other field type than memo fields.

Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]
0 Likes
7 Replies
Established Member.. JoSidarta
Established Member..

Jump to solution

It seems the only method to change it manually is by editting "td.SYSTEM_FIELD Table"?

0 Likes
Tuan_Nguyen_QC Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi JoSidarta,

The field name for customized fields is set by desgin of ALM, changing anything in DB side is not recomommended and may cause corruption to your project.

If you still want to have a try, logically changing field name in SYSTEM_FIELD may help but there is no document for this so please do it on test project with your own risk.

Thanks,

Tuan

"Micro Focus Support
If you find this or or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance."
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

If you delete a field, the database field slot will be reused again when you add a new field. That is the experience I have had with all versions of TD/QC/ALM. Where do you see the behavior that the field number will not be reused?

The only exception I am aware of is memo fields. A slot that has once been used for a memo field can not be reused for any other field type than memo fields.

Jan Czajkowski

0 Likes
sheyenne Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

agree with Jan, the deleted DB field name will be reused again when a new user-defined field is created. 

I do not see the logic or reason why you would want to change a system field.  Why do you want to mess with the architecture of the tool.  the HP support should have told you NOT to do that.

And if the projects you want to link are not compatible, then that is the case, why force it?  You know that the criteria for linking projects is that they must have the same base skeleton, same mold.  I'm sorry I just don't see the reason why are you deviating from that requirement. 

Now if you really must, you can make a copy of project A and covert that to a template.  Then you have a project template that you can link to the project A.  (You make a copy of project A instead or converting project A itself) In theory, you might be able to do this, but like they say, make sure you verify this first, test the process first before doing it on the actual projects.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. Ramesh35 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

As far as I understand deleted fields will be re-use only after all the fields are used. i.e. after 99 user fields in use or you deleted then only you can re-use the user field which you deleted at very first.

Regards,
Ramesh M.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Did you really try that? It does not work that way in the installations I am working with (using SQL Server as backend). Any previously used slot will be immediately reused, provided it is the one with the lowest number of the unoccupied slots.

Jan Czajkowski

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. Ramesh35 Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Got it. When you save the changes and come back again to customization->project entities,  it will pick the ones which you used earleir. If you are continuesly in the project entities without saving any changes and trying to delete and create again it wont pick the used one.

Thanks Jan. you are right! 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.