Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. garychen Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

An Excel utility to export ALM project customization

Jump to solution

I have developed an Excel utility which can export ALM project customization. This Excel utility can do

• Backup the ALM project customization. Before this utility, I have to write down all customization in excel format manually.
  • Easy and simple way for me to check if ALM project customization is as planning.
  • Can export the most entities fields customization, Project List, User groups and Users, Site parameters
  • It use OTA and can work with ALM 11.00, 11.52 & 12.x. 

Please see the attached zip file for Excel utility and pdf for screenshots. I want to share this with you and get some feedback to help me improve this utility. Thank you.

Updates: 
2016/04/29 - Removed the Chinese Sub name in the macro.
2016/05/10 - Support ALM 11.52 which doesn't have sanitization field property.
2016/05/13 - Connection error handling enhancement and fix Site Administrator fixed URL defect. Add Login dialog to hide the password
2016/05/17 - Support ALM 11 (Use GetTDVersion instead of GetTDVersionEx which ALM 11 doesn't have GetTDVersionEx)
2016/07/25 - Suport sub list items, Add list name in every items, Remove List Count column (But this community only accept image only, I can't upload the utility to community!)
2016/07/26 - The Download link of the latest version on Google drive. No login required.
2017/06/23 - You can Download from Community in the right panel.
ProjectLists.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor..

Re: An Excel utility to export ALM project customization

Jump to solution

Hi Brad,

My experience is the ALM-Client on your client machine is different from your ALM server. Does your environment have 2 different ALM versions? Could you please check
"C:\Users\<<your username>>\AppData\Local\HP\ALM-Client" folder on your client machine? How many ALM version folders in it? Are the folders' name match with your target ALM server version?

I think you need to try to uninstall ALM-client(or just delete the ALM-Client folder) and then reconnected to the ALM server to reinstall the ALM-Client again. Then the Excel will use the correct ALM-Client to get data.

Let me know if this work.

Regards,
Gary

45 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Garychen,

Thank you for providing this tool.

UI feedbacK: Can we mask the password original letters with special character like *.

Regards,

Srihari

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Srihari,

Thank you for your feedback. Done.

Gary

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Steve Barnash Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

In preparation for an upgrade from ver 11.0, I'd like to export our customization.  I tried the utility with my ver 11.0 instance and it does not appear to work.  Is there anything special I would need to do to get it working with ALM ver 11.0?

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

The utility only tested on ALM 11.52 and 12.x. I haven't tried it on ALM 11 yet. I need time to build a ALM 11 environment to find what's wrong.

Gary

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

This is because I use GetTDVersionEx to check the OTA API version which ALM 11.00 doesn't support. I have modified the marco to use GetTDVersion instead of GetTDVersionEx in the marco for ALM 11. Please download the updated version in the attachment of the original post. I have tested it on my ALM 11.00 environment. Please let me know the result on your environment. Thank you.

Please make sure you have registried the ALM client use the following URL:
http://<ALM server>:<ALM server port>/qcbin/start_a.jsp?common=true

Gary

Absent Member.. Steve Barnash Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

The new version works great wtih Ver 11.0.  Thanks for all your efforts.

0 Likes
cmt8455 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello Gary. This tool is great.

Do you know how I would go about exporting (to Excel) my custom user groups along with each group's associated permissions?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. booradley Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Gary - great work!

Problem with my installation though: Although I'm running 11.52 it looks like there is a mismatch between OTA versions; the script seems to be looking for a later version than what we have installed...

Any way around this to your knowledge?

Many thanks,

Brad

ALM Customization Exporter Tool.PNG

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Brad,

My experience is the ALM-Client on your client machine is different from your ALM server. Does your environment have 2 different ALM versions? Could you please check
"C:\Users\<<your username>>\AppData\Local\HP\ALM-Client" folder on your client machine? How many ALM version folders in it? Are the folders' name match with your target ALM server version?

I think you need to try to uninstall ALM-client(or just delete the ALM-Client folder) and then reconnected to the ALM server to reinstall the ALM-Client again. Then the Excel will use the correct ALM-Client to get data.

Let me know if this work.

Regards,
Gary

Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

I am trying, but a little busy right now.

Gary

Absent Member.. booradley Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Gary - I've learnt that we will be patching our ALM installation in the next few weeks, so I'll retest after that happens.

Cheers, Brad.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

nice tool

i think that this tool can help to optimize a project.

it will be interested to understand which field is really is use like a per cent column : "this field is used in 97 % of the entities.

i can share with you a code to import and export list which are not flat

0 Likes
LeonKaim Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have not yet tried this utility, but from what I read, it solves many different use cases.

Currently I am working with one of our ADM strategic customers, they are planning to consolidate their projects; standardize practices while reducing the number of project per site.  Our approach is to build up few template projects per business unit that withhold a single customization. We have already identify what we called Parent projects and we'll use their customization as baseline to later include some of the processes from the remaining child projects’ customization.

This utilities’ capabilities will provide a simple view, via excel, of the extent of the customization the parent and child projects have and allow us to better plan/understand what needs to be done - It will save us tones of work - I will update you with results. THANK YOU!!!

Small comment from legal perspective.

Usually, when we build utilities and openly share them, many of our colleagues, including me, use them to solve technical challenges with our customers. However, from our customers, it is not always clear whether such are officially supported or not. Only relevant PM can approve official Support and R&D should appoint relevant dev and QA engineers to own it. My recommendation in order to avoid all these problems and still share such a great solution is to include in the PDF document  the following note:

The "Excel utility to export ALM project customization" is provided for example purposes only. It is not supported by Hewlett Packard. The example software is experimental and is provided as a courtesy, free of charge, “ASIS by HewlettPackard Development Company, L.P. (“HP”). HP shall have no obligation to maintain or support this software. HP MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OF ANY KIND REGARDING THIS SOFTWARE. HP SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, IN CONNECTION WITH OR ARISING OUT OF THE FURNISHING, PERFORMANCE OR USE OF THIS SOFTWARE"

Best!

\Leon

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. Venkat457 Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Garychen,

Just wanted to share an update on the tool findings.It seems while this utility is exporting the lists as part of the customization export,it seems it is not getting the sub items of the list and only extracting the parent items from the list.Is there a way to incorporate this addition to the utility,so it could be much effective.

Thanks again for all your effort on this wonderful utility!!

Venkat
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.