Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Debra A Stachow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Broadcast Emailing in Quality Center 9.0

I haven't figured out how to effectively search in the HP forums.

Has anyone discovered a way to send a mass email to all registered QC users - not just those logged in at the time? We found one user-created routine, but it keeps aborting with runtime errors.
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.. john scarpino Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Broadcast Emailing in Quality Center 9.0

One way would be within the SMTP sever create a QC group then send it based on the group assigned by the mail server.
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.. Jan Czajkowski Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

I have done that in the past. I had a Site Admin script print all email addresses to a text file. Then I copied and pasted the string with all the addresses into an ordinary email.

Of course, you could automate the last part. But I would say your users probably won't appreciate getting these mass emails regularly, so I think it is perfectly all right to do the last part manually.
Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]
0 Likes
AKR Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Any updates on this thread. I need to do a similar thing to my users and need to send a mass email using QC Admin. Also, How do i get the list of users with their full names and email addresses in an excel sheet from QC Admin. Thanks.
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor..

This Site Admin script will produce a comma separated file with user name, full name and email address for all users in your QC installation (you need to modify the server name for the server variable):

Set client = CreateObject("SACLIENT80MP.SAapi")
server = "yourserver/sabin" 'InputBox("Server name:")
usr = InputBox("Site admin username:")
saPassword = InputBox("Site admin password:")

client.login server, usr, saPassword

response = client.GetAllUsers()
Set xmldoc = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
xmldoc.loadXML response
Set lst = xmldoc.getElementsByTagName("USER_NAME")

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set f = fso.OpenTextFile("c:\emails.txt", 2, True)

For i = 0 to lst.length - 1
Set node = lst.item(i)
result = client.GetUser(node.text)
xmldoc.loadXML result
Set root = xmldoc.documentElement
Set userId = root.SelectSingleNode("TDXItem/USER_NAME")
Set fullName = root.SelectSingleNode("TDXItem/FULL_NAME")
Set email = root.SelectSingleNode("TDXItem/EMAIL")
f.WriteLine userId.text & "," & fullName.text & "," & email.text
Next

f.Close
MsgBox "Finished!"
Jan Czajkowski

0 Likes
Highlighted
AKR Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Jan,
thanks for the code. Now where do I place this piece of code and execute the same to ensure i get the list.
Also, is there any other way to directly do a broadcast to all users in QC rather than us manually doing it.
thanks
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor..

Put the code in a textfile and name it with the extension .vbs for VBScript. Then you can execute it for example from the windows explorer by choosing Open on it.

There is no way to broadcast directly to all users - unless you build your own little application for doing that, which shouldn't be too complicated since you already have a script for getting the email addresses, and you could use the OTA API SendMail method for sending an email to those users. Out of the box, direct broadcast is available only for those users currently logged in.
Jan Czajkowski

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.