NEW_ALM12 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

COM error

Hi Folks, 

I have been getting the below error while I try to login to one of the project that is running ALM11 supported by Oracle DB. Can someone please advise yje solution?

Error: "Retrieving the COM class factiry for component with CLSID failed due to the following error: 8004015"

Log into other projects in same version of ALM with same user ID is NO issue. This error is only poped up in single projects for all users. 

0 Likes
13 Replies
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: COM error

Hello, Any recent changes to this project? Have you tried to run a "Verify" and "Repair" from Site Admin?
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

@falfarod There is no changes on the project. 

This is a Prod project so have not done verify and repair at the moment. 

But, this issue is occuring to some of the users. 

Example: when I login to the project I get this error. but, when I log into other project from same PC I wont get this error. 

When my co-worker logs into the project from his PC he doensnot get error in any of the projects. 

0 Likes

Try to clean and reinstall Client Components on the affected machine.

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows

2. Run the ALM Client Cleanup Add-in: https://marketplace.microfocus.com/appdelivery/content/alm-client-cleanup-add-in

3. navigate to the %Temp% folder. Once in the “Temp” folder delete the “TD_80” subfolder. This is better known as the ALM Cache. Like “Temporary Internet Files” this can be safely deleted. It will be recreated upon the next logon to Quality Center.

4. Use right click on Internet Explorer and select “Run as Administrator”

5. In the toolbar select Tools -> Internet Options

6. In the window that opened navigate to tab General

7. Under the section Browsing Settings click the Delete Button

8. In the window that opened disable the first option “Preserve Favorites Websites Data”

9. This will delete all Temporally Internet Files

10. Reboot your client machine

11. Right click on Internet Explorer and select “Run as Administrator”

12. Open ALM main page (this will start to download the client components from the server)

13. Click on "Tools" page

14. Remember to Click on "ALM Client Registration" to register the newly installed components (Register HP ALM).

15. Also add the ALM URL to the compatibility view settings as below:

IE > tools > Compatibility view settings

16. Additionally add the ALM URL to the trusted sites,

-Go to internet options

-security tab > sites button

-add the ALM URL

Restart IE, run as administrator and try again

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

@falfarod thanks for sharing info. 

I will give a shot next week and keep you posted.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Still, same issue.

Capture.PNG

0 Likes
AdamCyb Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi,

Maybe check with affected user default view (remove all filters)?

Click "Clear Filter/Sort" (see enclosed screenshot for reference).

Several internal users reported me similar issue some time ago.

By the way - what ALM version (+patch) you have installed (access SiteAdmin->Help->About)?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

@AdamCyb , 

did you attach any screenshot in your above note? I donot see it. 

Im in ALM11.00 patch 19. DB Oracle, OS RHEL 5.10

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. arichtman Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Check you're running in 32 bit. COM object is not available in 64 bit
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Is workflow code the same for all projects? I suspect something is different and causing the error - can you compare the project workflow code?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Could you please verify if this project has any extensions enabled - different than in the projects which work on your PC? (ALI, SAP, ...) Does this project use BPT?

Not a quick fix of course - but any chance you can migrate to ALM/QC 12.6x soon? ALM 11.0 is very old and perhaps even Windows patches might brake it...

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

@Dirk Hedderich ,

this impacted project has 3 different project extensions enabled. Please see in below picture. 

Ya, regarding migration/upgrade, we are in a marching posion now, but not there yet. 

P_Ext.PNG

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You mentioned that all other projects are ok - is this also the case for other projects which use exactly the same three extensions?

I've searched in the registry of my machines - and on Google - for the class ID "546DF57F-360A-4D44-8294-D7A9D514068A" from your screenshot (hope I got it right...). No trace at all... could you please search the registry on PCs which don't have a problem with the project for this ID? If you find it in the registry - any hint which DLL / file / reference it belongs to?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

I suspect that class ID is a locally generated UUID that is created and assigned when the COM object is registered on that PC - hence you won't find the same ID on any other PC...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.