Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Trusted Contributor.. Jim Hazen Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Cannot run UFT 12.53 test on local machine from ALM 12.21 Test Lab

I've got a machine (Windows 10 Pro) with ALM 12.21 and UFT 12.53, and when I try to run an automated test (Run from Test Lab Test Set for a single test) from the test lab to a local machine the Run dialog sits there at the "Connecting..." message and does not connect to the local machine where I am running ALM from. It should boomerang back to my local machine and startup UFT and run the script.

I can run the script from UFT itself.  So has to be some type of communication problem going back the machine. 

I turned on the DCOM access (allow HP product and other DCOM enabled automation) as part of the install.  The ALM Connectivity module was installed along with UFT, and am not using the one from ALM itself. UAC is turned off as well (as part of installation and running the tools).

I have other users/machines that are working fine in this arraignment/configuration.  I've done uninstall (ALM via Cleanup Utility and UFT setup program) and cleanup of remnant folders/files and registry entries and still cannot get this to work right.  Any ideas are welcome.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Cannot run UFT 12.53 test on local machine from ALM 12.21 Test Lab

Hi Jim Hazen,

Disable UAC and DEP on the machine where you are executing QTP script from ALM client. Restart the machine and attempt to run the script again,let us know if this helped resolving the issue.

Regards,
Srihari
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Srihari,

UAC is turned off, I mentioned that in the original post.  The DEP cannot be turned off for reasons of Security policy at the company I'm at.  With UAC OFF it behaves this way.  We have other machines that have DEP still turned ON, but I suspect it was temporarily turned Off to install and then turned back On as per some other KB information.

I will try to get the DEP turned off for an install and see what I get.  But the Security group here is pretty adament about not letting us turn off DEP now (unlike before the company policy changes).

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Jim Hazen,

When you are executing automated script from ALM onto a local machine,it trys to start a specific agent process which will establish the connectivity between ALM & UFT and starts the execution in UFT in silent mode.
Identify that process and consider adding that as an exception in DEP settings,this might help bypassing DEP block .

Regards,
Srihari
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Srihari (or anyone else),

Do you happen to know the name/value of that process that is running in Task Manager?  Thanks.

Jim

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.