Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
marinalos
New Member.

Commits on user story level in ALM Octane

Hi, would anyone possibly could advise me where to find instructions how to create "commits" on a user story level.  I watched youtube video where I thought I understood "commits" are actually confirmations about code releases (defined via PIPELINE module). I understand it differently on a user stroy level like it is described in the Octane Help Centre "The commits widget shows you the work your team has committed during the current time frame. ALM Octane breaks down the commits by story type:" and actually how Safe methodology understands it. However I cannot find anywhere, really anywhere the process how to create those "commits" - I mean technically in the tool on a user story level (= w/t deploying of Pipeline module...). If this is at all possbile of course. Thanks So much if you can advise. 

0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Commits on user story level in ALM Octane

Commits are change sets, such as you are changing some lines in some source code files, adding new files etc. to implement a user story. 

Typically you use an Oc

tane IDE Add-In, for IntelliJ for example this one:

https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/9540-alm-octane

There you can see all you "My Work" items, including the user stories. 

You can select a user story and start working on it. When you are done with your code changes that actually implement the story you do a commit. If the user story is selected and marked as "Start work" in IntelliJ the commit message is automatically populated with the Octane user story ID, such as e.g.: 

IntelliJ Commit.png

Octane scans these you source code repository for these commit messages and therefore knows how which commits where done one which user story. 

There are also other add-ins available for other IDEs such as Eclipe, Visual Studio, see:
https://admhelp.microfocus.com/octane/en/latest/Online/Content/UserGuide/articles-ides.htm

If you are not using a any of these IDEs you can simply type the ALM Octane user story ID in your commit message manually (or copy / paste) and Octane can help you track commited changes.  All you need to do is to type in a commit message in correct format, typically like "user story #123" where 123 is the ID of your user story. 

You can actually customize the commit patterns, in case you want to use different ones see:

https://admhelp.microfocus.com/octane/en/latest/Online/Content/AdminGuide/how_setup_SCM.htm

I hope this helps

0 Likes
marinalos
New Member.

Re: Commits on user story level in ALM Octane

Hello, it seems to be quite complicated and still refferring to the code releases, right? Would it be possible to describe to me step by step procedure how to get it into my Octane? E.g.:

a) Download and istall plug-in (btw. I checked downloded the latest from the link provided by you and it is a folder = not install package - which file exactly should I install?)

b) Go to "user story" (this is the level I need) and type there a message

c) etc....

Of course if it wouldn´t disturb you. Thanks a lot in advance. marina

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.