staypuppy Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Create new project hangs at Copying folder 'project-schema/12.50/FS/scripts'

Jump to solution

Hi - I am recently unable to create new projects or copy existing projects.  12.55 SP 1.   Oracle 12c

When I try to create a new empty project it freezes at Copying folder 'project-schema/12.50/FS/scripts'.  I'm unable to find this folder or any reference to it.  

When I try to create a project from an existing project, it hangs at copying "hist" even though I have de-selected all the history options.  

I can't find any logging that tells me what is going on or even where to start looking.  We have a test server running the same version with a copy of the schemas and the repository that does not exhibit these issues.  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. arichtman Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Create new project hangs at Copying folder 'project-schema/12.50/FS/scripts'

Jump to solution

Can you verify your production service account has access to write to the new repository location?

Does your production service account have a quota on the disk that's sufficient?

Query the smart repository tables in the database - can you locate the files on disk?

Can you patch to 12.55.3?

Are you OK with workarounds? You can copy the DB and files separately and add them as a project yourself in the database [not recommended]

Can you compare site configuration and qcsiteadmin_db between production and where it's working?

0 Likes
25 Replies
NEW_ALM12 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Create new project hangs at Copying folder 'project-schema/12.50/FS/scripts'

Jump to solution

@staypuppy

Hey, you not just alone. I have similar issue and I have been working with MF support and R&D. But, unfortunatly, we do not have any progress since 2 month. 

https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Quality-Center-ALM-User/Empty-project-creation-process-in-ALM12-55-12-60-is-taking-more/m-p/1676881#M99110

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Can you verify your production service account has access to write to the new repository location?

Does your production service account have a quota on the disk that's sufficient?

Query the smart repository tables in the database - can you locate the files on disk?

Are you OK with workarounds? You can copy the DB and files separately and add them as a project yourself in the database [not recommended]

Can you compare site configuration and qcsiteadmin_db between production and where it's working?

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi - 

Thank you for the suggestions!  I checked permissions and applied inheritance to make sure they were correct recursively.  No change. 

I found the Task_Progress table, and it is hanging here on a new project:

928104 0 upgrade.merge.report_project_templates    - Merge REPORT_PROJECT_TEMPLATES 0 2018-12-17 11:51:47 1063
928103 0 upgrade.merge.analysis_items    - Merge ANALYSIS_ITEMS 0 2018-12-17 11:51:46 1063
928101 0 upgrade.merge.analysis_segments    - Merge ANALYSIS_SEGMENTS 0 2018-12-17 11:51:45 1063
928102 0 upgrade.merge.analysis_item_folders    - Merge ANALYSIS_ITEM_FOLDERS 0 2018-12-17 11:51:45 1063
928099 0 upgrade.merge.transition_rules    - Merge TRAN_RULES 0 2018-12-17 11:51:37 1063
928100 0 upgrade.merge.system_fields    - Merge SYSTEM_FIELDS 0 2018-12-17 11:51:37 1063
928098 0 upgrade.merge.modules    - Merge MODULES 0 2018-12-17 11:51:36 1063
928097 0 (Step 13/27):  Merge new data to system tables ... (Step 13/27):  Merge new data to system tables ... 0 2018-12-17 11:51:34 1063

Which tables? I  only see Smart_Repository_GC_Job and Smart_Repository_Migration_Job and neither seem correct and they are both empty.

Not at this time.

I'm assuming you are asking about the repository?  Then yes, no quota and 65 GB free

I can try - I haven't done that before and will need to figure it out.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

@NEW_ALM12 -- It looks like yours eventually works.  Mine hangs indefinitely...

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

The problem did end up being permissions or a problem with the temp tablespace.  I ran the permissions update recursively again and restarted the QC server.  I tried a new project to a different temp tablespace and empty project creation worked.  Then I was able to clone 2 existing projects with no errors. 

THANK YOU for pointing me in the right direction.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@staypuppy, what permission was it? What was it before and what you change to? Is ALM installed in LINUX or Windows? You said problem was in Tem tablespace also. What was it and what you change to? 

Hope you wont mind answering these questions. 

Thank you.

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

@NEW_ALM12  -  This is a Windows installation. 

Regarding the permissions, I changed them to Full Control for Everyone on the Quality Center folder that holds the repository, and then I selected the option to "Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable entries from this object".  I'll need to be more restrictive but for now this got me past the issue.  When the subject of permissions had come up, I had a recollection of removing "Everyone" thinking it would not have an impact since everything was owned by the service user. I was wrong...

The db temp tablespace might be a red herring.  I'm not sure which issue fixed the problem but I'm leaning towards permissions.  We have 2 temp tablespaces created by our DBA. I just happened to try the second one, which I never use. I don't know the configuration of it.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@staypuppy, my installation is in LINUX. 

Currently, the empty project creation takes more than 15 min. The process freezes at copying "/12.60/FS/attach"

I have 775 permission set up in ALM repo in LINUX server. This permission level should work for everyone. 

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@arichtman, You mentioned, "Query the smart repository tables in the database". Would you please share the SQL statement to query smart repository table?

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
SELECT * FROM SMART_REPOSITORY_LOGICAL_FILE  join SMART_REPOSITORY_PHYSICAL_FILE on SRLF_ID = SRPF_ID 
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

@arichtman, is project-schema/12.50/FS/scripts is expected as a result of the sql query you provided?

I tried running the SQL statement aganist my ALM DB via SQL developer, and I got table or view doesnot exit error message. 

SmartRepo_SQL_SS.PNG

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

@NEW_ALM12 The tables are in the project schema(s), not the QC Admin schema.  Which one are you executing it against?

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

I was running the sql against qcsiteadmin DB. 

As you advised, I ran the same sql against project schema. 

This is what I can see beside other info. 

Do you think there is something suspicious?

SmartRepo_SQL_SS.PNG

My problem is, when I create an empty project, the process hung for about 15 at "copying project-schema/12.60/FS/attach".

0 Likes
Valued Contributor.

Jump to solution

Does it stay hung or does it eventually complete?  If it completes eventually, I wouldn't worry about it. 

I wasn't the one who originally suggested looking at contents so I'm not sure what to advise on that.  You could look at the path and see if those same files are in your repository directory.

You might also want to do what I did and apply the correct permissions recursively to your entire Quality Center repo directory and files. Maybe something got messed up, as it did in my case. I realize you are on Linux and I'm on Windows, but could still be a factor if QC doesn't have the right permissions to create the new folders and files.  I would make a copy of it prior to changing permissions. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.