Omar Lpz Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Error: Host user name is empty

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,

I've been practicing with ALM a bit, now I'm trying to launch GUI tests from UFT installed in a remote host. I created a VM called "ALM Server" wich is the...yeah, the ALM Server, in this machine I have installed UFT and Sprinter. This VM is allocated in a remote PC, My laptop has UFT and Sprinter too and a Client instance of ALM. I've recorded a couple of scripts in my laptop and save them in the ALM Repository of a project. What I'm trying to do is that the scripts that I've recorded on my laptop, run in the ALM Server, I understand that I need to install the Lab Service on the host machine where I need the remote tests to run (In this case, the trusty 'ALM Server'. So, after doing it, the install wizard displays the configuration window, so I fill all the fields in the form and I send the request to register said Host, in my client instance of ALM I created a new Test Host with the name of the VM, so when I register the VM all goes with no errors. After I clicked confirm registration in the Lab Management, The host becomes "operational" I click in the 'Check Host' option but the operation fails with the message "Finished with errors. Check Host has failed on all purposes: Host user name is Empty." When i go to the Lab Service Settings in the VM I notice that all the fields that I've filled before are now empty and the service stops. I don't know what's happening, looks like a pretty straight forward task and Is giving me a terrible headache. So If you could please help me to figure out what am I doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. arichtman Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Error: Host user name is empty

Jump to solution

Please set your logging as shown in the screenshot. Then clear the directory and restart the service. Reproduce the error message and post logs. Don't forget to redact anything sensitive.labsvclogs.png

Also please check the config files - could be something helpful in there

C:\Program Files\HP\HP ALM Lab Service\HP.ALM.Lab.Agent.RemoteService.exe.config
0 Likes
5 Replies
Super Contributor.. machinedata Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

When you installed the lab service, did you do it with admin credentials?  If not, or if you have some lower level of privilege, the service may not have installed or register properly.  You'll notice this because if it doesn't register properly it doesn't allow you to enter in the credential information.  It will still allow you to register the host, but it will fail on validation because the credentials aren't being passed or recognized or haven't been set up properly.  There is a log that it generates on the machine which you can look at to see what it's actually failing on.

Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Seconded - sounds like permissions issue.

Make sure service etc are running in the most verbose mode and then hunt down the logs.

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi machinedata,

Yeah, I've installed it with Admin rights, is a Win Server 2016 and there's only an Administrator user, I even turned off the Firewall as WS doesn't allow other PC's to connect to the server directly. And the server let me enter the credentials, but If I close the Lab Settings window, all the info I entered gets wiped. All but the ALM Server url. Even if I let the settings opened and register the host from the client instance or the ALM server itself it gets the same error: "Host User name is empty"

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Please set your logging as shown in the screenshot. Then clear the directory and restart the service. Reproduce the error message and post logs. Don't forget to redact anything sensitive.labsvclogs.png

Also please check the config files - could be something helpful in there

C:\Program Files\HP\HP ALM Lab Service\HP.ALM.Lab.Agent.RemoteService.exe.config
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi arichtman

The logs didn't showed anything usefull, except the "Attempt failed" line wich says that "Host user name is empty", so I checked the config file, and there the setting were " ", so I fill the host username, password and domain and now I can launch the tests, thanks a lot buddy! 😄

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.