Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Super Contributor.. Barry L. Daniel Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Excel Report Generation Settings

Jump to solution

On the Generation Settings tab, I'd like to be able to add the date, via script, in the 'Save Report as:'. For Example: 'Defects Report_MMDDYYYY.xls', with MMDDYYYY being generated automatically when the document is saved.

I did try ?Date, like from the SiteAdmin parameters, obviously that didn't work.

Any Thoughts?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. bton99 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Excel Report Generation Settings

Jump to solution

Hello Barry,

I had the same requirement and also couldn't find a way to put 'variables' in that "Save Report as: "string.
So here's what I did instead:

All reports save by default to the same folder - e.g. "C:\data\Newreports\..."

I then have a batch script ( now powershell, but was a 'dos batch script') which scans that folder every nnn mins - as often or rarely as you want.

When a new file is found the script renames it - adding the date.

Also useful in that I can change the properties of the Excel report - make it read only or even save as a non macro XL ( We use post processing so the excel reports save with a macro, most users don't need or use macro enabled XLs.)

And save the updated file out to another folder - e.g. "C:\data\ALM Metrics\"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. bton99 Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Barry,

I had the same requirement and also couldn't find a way to put 'variables' in that "Save Report as: "string.
So here's what I did instead:

All reports save by default to the same folder - e.g. "C:\data\Newreports\..."

I then have a batch script ( now powershell, but was a 'dos batch script') which scans that folder every nnn mins - as often or rarely as you want.

When a new file is found the script renames it - adding the date.

Also useful in that I can change the properties of the Excel report - make it read only or even save as a non macro XL ( We use post processing so the excel reports save with a macro, most users don't need or use macro enabled XLs.)

And save the updated file out to another folder - e.g. "C:\data\ALM Metrics\"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Super Contributor.. Barry L. Daniel Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

@bton99, Thank you for the info. I was thinking along the same lines. Just thought it would be nice to do the name change at the source versus via another method.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.