thor_olav Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Export to excel from ALM 11 fails

Jump to solution

Hi,

I get a strange error while exporting design steps from a test to Excel.

Does anyone have a clue what causes this.

I use ALM 11.0.0.4504 - Patch 3.

When right click on design steps and export to Excel the attached error mesage pops up.

This is quite annoying since we need to export test scripts to testers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
thor_olav Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Export to excel from ALM 11 fails

Jump to solution

Hi,

It turned out to be a part of what patch/service pack installed. I have installed with the latest patches, and now everything is working as it should (I will now close this thread). So upgrade your instance with the correct service patch/pack, and have a new go.

Thor Olav

0 Likes
14 Replies
Schall Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

You may need to install Excel add-in with windows Administrative access.

and check the compatibility of teh Excel with the ALM ( it supports 2007 and 2010).

Cheers

Cheers
-------------
When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!

Clicking the "Kudos star" is a great way to say thanks! 🙂
--------------
0 Likes
Absent Member.. sreeramulum Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Schall,

I tried installing Excel add-in still no luck. Still getting same error.

Any other hint! anyone?

Thanks

Kind Regards

Mohan

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
The Connectivity and Excel Add-ins don't have anything to do with exporting data from QC to Excel. Those add-ins are required only when you want to export data from Excel to QC.

Do you have Excel installed? What version?

At what point in the process exactly does the error appear? Do you get the "Export All Grid Data" dialog, where you specify the destination file? If so, do you have Write permissions for the directory where you are trying to put the output file?

In the Readme file that accompanied Patch 3, issue QCCR1J16358 talks about failures to export design steps to Excel. For projects created prior to Patch 3 there is a query that has to be run. Do you have the problem only with projects created before Patch 3, or with new projects created since Patch 3 was installed? Does this happen for all projects, or only some projects?
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy,

Below is your answer for your ?

Do you have Excel installed? What version?

Yes! i have 2007

i am getting this error when ever i right click on grid view or design steps and select export and export selected.

I have do have admin rights for my machine and i am exporting to my desktop.

This happen for all the project.

Is there somewhere i can get the log.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I am utilizing ALM QC v11 SP2, so am on a newer patch version than you.  I am running on a Windows 7 OS, 32 bit, as a user with Admin privileges, and using IE8.  I attempted to recreate you problem and did not encounter the error.

1. Logon to QC to a project.

2. Go to the Test Plan Module

3. In the Test Plan tree view highlight a test case

4. Click the Design Steps tab in the right-hand pane for the test case.

5. Right-click on a Step in the Design Steps tab.  Select Export from the pop-up menu.

At this point I get a dialog named "Export All Grid Data".  I do not get an "export selected" option.  I am able to enter a destination file name, and the process completes without error.

The only time I get the "export selected" option is if I change the Test Plan module from Test Tree View to Test Grid View, which displays the test cases in a grid.  Then if I right-click on a test case, select Export from the pop-up menu, I get a sub-menu that says "Export All" and "Export Selected".  After making that selection I get the dialog for "Export Selected Grid Data" (when I choose "Export Selected").  I am able to enter a filename and the export process completes successfully.

What OS, bit level and service pack is your workstation?  Has this ever worked for you on this workstation?  Does it work for other people on their workstations?  Does it work for you on any other workstation?

What log are you looking for?  Generally, QC stores logs on the QC application server.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Trudy,

I am follwing the same steps as u have mentioned, but i am not getting dialog  "Export All Grid Data". i am getting enter the filename windows and when i enter the name and click on save that when i get the error " could not export to a file.

i am using Excel 2007. below is QC version details.

HP Quality Center
Quality Center 11.00 Enterprise Edition

Component Build

OTA Client 11.0.0.5761
User Interface 11.0.0.5761
WebGate Client 11.0.0.5761
Test Run Scheduler 11.0.0.5761
Execution Flow 11.0.0.5761
Site Administration Client 11.0.0.5761

Extension Version

Sprinter 11.0.0.5761

HP Application Lifecycle Management 11.00 Service Pack 2 Public includes patches 1 through 4. All subsequent patches will be cumulative and will include Service Pack 2 Public.

My OS details

Windows XP, 32 bit, SP3 

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks

Mohan

0 Likes
thor_olav Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi,

It turned out to be a part of what patch/service pack installed. I have installed with the latest patches, and now everything is working as it should (I will now close this thread). So upgrade your instance with the correct service patch/pack, and have a new go.

Thor Olav

0 Likes
thor_olav Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
By the way, it turned out the the application of service pack 3 had failed for my part, so I was still on service pack 1
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy,

Finally i got this going. the bug was in the regestry with microsoft office. below is the fix.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\LanguageResources]
"InstallLanguage"=dword:00000c09

Thanks for your time...

Tags (3)
Highlighted
AtmosE Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I hate to open a closed thread, but I am generating this same error.

Windows 7 32bit

Office 2010

HP ALM 11.0

Windows updates are all current, and i can export anything.  That same error message above is generated.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
AtmosE Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
strike that, i figured it out. added the registry key provided by sreeramulum. Thanks!
0 Likes
Techldr Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I have verified all of the above items and I am still receiving the error message 'unable to export to file'.   I have checked my Registry settings and they are correct.  now what?  any other ideas?

0 Likes
kbishwajit Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

YES! This works 

Plese download and install the plug-in, and create registry entry manually. it will work thereafter. 

============================

Direct Download URL:

Microsoft Excel Add-In, Version 11.00

Last Update 25 Jan, 2016  •  Downloads 10398  •  

Download OR https://hpln.hpe.com/rest/contentofferings/microsoft-excel-add/contentpackages/8436

For all version: https://hpln.hpe.com/contentoffering/microsoft-excel-add

HP Add-In Home Paghe:  https://hpln.hpe.com/  (Excel, Word, etc)

Please create this entry manually. After that you should be able to export (Test Case or other information from ALM/QC)

============================

Thanks,

Bish

0 Likes
bockos12 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Thanks,

at the last part I was a bit lost. I'll explain you why.

Please create this entry manually. After that you should be able to export (Test Case or other information from ALM/QC)

Okay, so I had no Common folder in my 12.0 folder, so had to right click on 12.0 and then Choose ,,New'' and ,,Key''. Then needed to creat one more folder inside the Common folder, name it as  ,,LanguageResources''. After this one, you need to click on ,,LanguageResources'' (right click) select ,,New" and select ,,DWORD'. The REG will be created in your folder, rename it as ,,InstallLanguage". Right click on it, choose modify and type ,,c09'' and leave the Base on hexadecimal, it is the default one. There we go.

I hope I'll save some time for someone else because it took me a bit time to make everything okay :).

Cheers,

Thank you Bish for making this comment, it just really saved my life, I was lookin for this solution for so long !

BR,

Attila

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.