Absent Member.. kmeilink Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Failed to install ALM 11 on client machine

I am receiving an error during the install of ALM 11 on one of my users client machines.  The main ALM page displays after going to the URL http://servername:port/qcbin.  I click on the Quality Center link to start the install.  An error displays: "initialization has failed.  contact your system adminstrator. For details, see the Loader log file."

We recently upgraded from QC 9.2.  I do not know where to start.  Any ideas?  Other users have had no issues with the installation (who also had 9.2 previously on their machines).

Also, the user is on IE7. 

We also have Patch 6 installed and our appserver is JBOSS if that helps to decipher this.

0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Failed to install ALM 11 on client machine

What OS, bit level (32 or 64), and service pack level is the workstation at? Does it meet all the prerequisites for an ALM v11 client? Did this user have any of the add-ons installed (QC add-ons for Excel or Word, for example)? If so, those should all be uninstalled.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Established Member.. FREDVB
Established Member..

Follow instructions in the attachment and that should resolve your issue

-Regards

VB

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thank you.  We did do the installation of the certs yesterday (for windows XP).  This did solve the initialization failed error.  Unfortunately we are still facing issues.  Now the user receives an INVALID URL error.

I found out further information on how this was setup to access our network and QC.  They come into our network via Cisco ASA VPN (not how normal users access it through cisco anyconnect vpn).  They have allowed URLs they access through a tunnel.  the /QCBin url is one of them.  Once they click on that they do get the page that displays the Quality Center link and the SiteAdmin link, etc.  Once they click on Quality Center it looks like it starts initializing but then throws a pop-up errr stating Invalid URL.  I can see the URl field at the top ends with /qcbin/start_a.jsp. 

This is so different.  I am working with HP but have not a clue.  I was not here when they did the initial setup of this access and how they got QC 9.2 working.

any feedback is appreciated!

0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. Marvin Quick Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

We have installed QC11 Patch 7 and are getting the same error.  I think it is related to KM1292990 that is an issue with proxy access.  I can access QC directly (http://<qcserver>/qcbin/start_a.jsp) fine but cannot using a path through the netscaler.

I opened a ticket with HP and a host file change suggestion didn't work.  I am waiting on a reply and more assistance.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. sreeramulum Absent Member..
Absent Member..

1. Try ping qc server with its ip from the client machine. you can use server ip or public ip (if you are coming via VPN)

2. Reset your internet explorer setting in the advance tab and restore advance settings on the same tab.

3. Use ip address instead of hostname on the url address ex. http://172.14.4.123:8080/qcbin/start_a.jsp

let me know how you go.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

What finally worked for our users was the following:

-Install the Cisco anyconnect onto the actual VM machine (it was installed previously on the users physical machine).

-Had the user type into the URL field of IE swmn02xw03001.carlson.com:8081/qcbin/start_a.jsp

-This brought the user to the QC Login page

Thank you for all the suggestions!

0 Likes
Absent Member.. liukaichun Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Navigate to http://<server>/qcbin/ALM-Platform-Loader.msi , download and install it first and try again. It works for me.

pwblanch Contributor.
Contributor.

Hello everyone, for the following error: 

“Initialization has failed. Contact your system administrator.  For details, see the Loader log file.”

I can tell you what fixed this issue for me: 

1. Go to this link:  http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html
  2. Download the roots.zip file
  3. Unzip the roots.zip and install these certificates:
  4. "Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G2.cert"  - under - Generation 2 (G2) PCAs
  5. "Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G3.cert" - under - Generation 3 (G3) PCAs
  6. "Verisign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5.cert" - under - Generation 5 (G5) PCAs
  7. Also you may have to install this certificate - go to this link:  http://www.geotrust.com/resources/root-certificates/ - install the "GeoTrust Global CA" certificate (it is the second listed certificate).

Hope this helps.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Santoclos Absent Member..
Absent Member..

This work perfectly.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. gmu2013 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thank you pwblanch, I've been googling for the past 3 days to try to find a solution for the same problem, tried numerous ways to trouble shoot, even opened a ticket with HP, but nothing worked until I tried your suggestion. It worked like a charm, THANK YOU!!!

0 Likes
westondunn Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Same thing happend to me when my company upgraded from 11.00 to 11.52.

Environment: Windows 7

Steps I took:

1. Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName\AppData\Local\HP\ALM-Client
  2. Open the "Deployments.ini  " as an Administrator
  3. Remove extra deployment entry.

DONE.

Absent Member.. GM-Girl Absent Member..
Absent Member..

To fix the ALM Initialization Failed error on IE9

Go to Internet Options -> Advanced -> Uncheck setting “Do not save encrypted pages to disk”

This setting will prevent caching and ALM needs to create cache to download files

0 Likes
Absent Member.. ORBroncoFan Absent Member..
Absent Member..

@liukaichun wrote:

Navigate to http://<server>/qcbin/ALM-Platform-Loader.msi , download and install it first and try again. It works for me.

We have IE9 clients with ALM 12.01.  This solution fixed our problem!  Following the DL and execution of the MSI, the next login attempt resulted in normal installation of client components.  Our user was able to access his project as expected.  Thank you!

0 Likes
Inderprit Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Failed to install  Quality Center enterprise edition - trial version on machine. It gave me the below mentioned error :

Initialization has failed. Contact your system administrator.
For details, see the Loader log file.

Failure details:
Initialization failure. ALM server URL must be in the intranet zone or added to the trusted sites list.

Please help asap

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.