Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. LH_JP Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

HP ALM Business View Excel Add-in - Calling the "Refresh All" button into a VBA Macro

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are currenty using ALM 12.5 and I have been heavily using the Business Views in order to create dynamic Excel reporting for the last year.

Right now, I would like to be able to call the "Refresh All" function from the HP ALM add-in into a VBA macro.

I was wondering if there Is any easy way to do it?

Thank you in advance for your help amd time.

Kind Regards.

Laurent

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: HP ALM Business View Excel Add-in - Calling the "Re

Jump to solution

Laurent,

Yes you are right, I was making reference to something different.

There is no such OTA API to control the actions of this Excel Add-in as far as I know.

I really don't think this is at all possible at this moment.

The closest workaround I can think of is to tick the 'Auto Refresh' check box so it does it automatically in case there is any change on the Business Views configuration.

Regards,

Claudio

12 Replies
Roy_C_QC Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: HP ALM Business View Excel Add-in - Calling the "Refresh All" button into a VBA Macro

Jump to solution

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for submitting this request.

Allow me to comment that I am currently confirming if there is an available approach for achieving what your are looking for.
I will keep you posted  about my progress on this.

In the meantime, please share an example of the actions you would like to complete, or well what do you expect from the application. This way we can know a more detailed description of how you would like to have it done.

Please notice that there is the chance we might need to consider an Enhancement Request for this, but prior to confirm that I need to complete some analyisis on it, so I will reach you back with our conclusions.

We will be looking forward to your responses as well,

Thanks & regards!

Roy Chinchilla Ramírez
Software Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the option at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Re: HP ALM Business View Excel Add-in - Calling the "Refresh All" button into a VBA Macro

Jump to solution

Hi Laurent, 

As friendly follow up, please let us know if you have any comments about my previus reply.

Your comments will be valuable to continue assisting you.

Thanks & regards!

Roy Chinchilla Ramírez

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.

If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the option at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Roy,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late answer.

Actually I have created an Excel template for our PMs and TLs that is using a lot of Business Views in order to track the daily Testing status and give many KPIs / indicators.

With this template users can save every days the data in order to create an history and see the trend of the tests execution and defects management (c.f. attached sample).

The current workflow for using it is:

1) Open the Excel File.

2) Log in to ALM thanks to the HP ALM add-in.

3) Click on HP ALM > "Refresh All" in order to refresh the business views data.

4) Click on a VBA macro button in order to save the history of the day.

My next step would be to integrate the "Refresh All" function directly in my VBA macro. This way the previous steps 3) and 4) would just become one action.

Later on I am also thinking to integrate the step 2) so at the end I can create a .bat that will be executed daily.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you in advance for your help and time.

Laurent

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hello Laurent,

You can trigger the refresh action for a specific module using the following Workflow code:

Actions.Action("<ActionName>").Execute

In order to get the specific ActionName for that module you can use the steps recommended on this article and hit Refresh Button to capture its name:

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00707015

In the OTA reference guide there is a reference to the Refresh Method for a specific entity but this won't perform a bulk refresh of all entities on each module.

This is the link for the OTA reference in case you want to take a look. Look for "Refresh Method (Bug)" in the Index:

https://admhelp.microfocus.com/alm/en/12.53/api_refs/ota/webframe.html

I hope this helps!

Thanks, Claudio

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi again Laurent,

I hope you are fine, 

Please share with us your comments and updates on this.
We will be glad to continue assisting you.

Thanks & regards!

Roy Chinchilla Ramírez

0 Likes
Carlos_S_ALM Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Laurent.

We hope you are well.

Please feel free to share your comments about this topic.

Regards,

Carlos Solis Perez

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Claudio,

Thank you for your information and sorry for my late answer.

When reading, I feel that we are not talking about the same thing.

I have created the Business Views in ALM and executing them in an Excel File thanks to the HP ALM add-in that can be installed from the Dashboard > Analysis View module.

Then in Excel I get the followig Excel Tab (c.f. attached picture). Within the different actions, you have the "Refresh all" buton (circled in red). This is the action I'd like to call in a VBA macro.  Since this button refreshes all the Business Views of the Excel File, I guess there is a way to call it or to use the function behind it.

Thank you again for your help and time.

Best Regards.

Laurent

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Laurent, 

Soon we will sharing our comments on this,
We will make sure to keep you posted,

Thanks & regards!

Roy Chinchilla Ramírez

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Laurent,

Yes you are right, I was making reference to something different.

There is no such OTA API to control the actions of this Excel Add-in as far as I know.

I really don't think this is at all possible at this moment.

The closest workaround I can think of is to tick the 'Auto Refresh' check box so it does it automatically in case there is any change on the Business Views configuration.

Regards,

Claudio

Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Greetings Laurent!

Please let us know if the information provided fulfilled your request,
We will be looking forward to your response,

Best regards!

Roy Chinchilla Ramírez

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Greetings!

Please share your progress on this
Based on your comments we can continue assisting you.

Thanks & regards!

Roy Chinchilla Ramírez

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Claudio,

Thank you for your answer and your time. I understand that for now there is no real answer for what I am looking for.

Best regards.

Laurent

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.