Absent Member.. johndavidong Absent Member..
Absent Member..

HP ALM Migration from SQL to ORACLE

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are on the planning stage to migrate our DB server (ONLY) from SQL to ORACLE. Can anyone clarify how will I make ALM point to the new SA schema? From my knowledge, SA schema should be migrated first followed by Project schema.

We will be retaining our APP and Repository server to same server. Only the DB server will be migrated. Any idea? What is the best approach?

In addition, we will be doing a phase by phase migration. So, I need to make sure that users that are not scheduled to be migrated can still access ALM without any issue.

Thank You.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: HP ALM Migration from SQL to ORACLE

Jump to solution

Here are a few links that will help you.

How to migrate qcsiteadmin_db schema from one database server to another (KM00879868)

Migrate existing SQL projects to Oracle

How to switch database servers for Quality Center server (KM189834)

Can the database back-end used by Quality Center be migrated from Oracle to MS SQL and vice versa (KM194388)

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Here are a few links that will help you.

How to migrate qcsiteadmin_db schema from one database server to another (KM00879868)

Migrate existing SQL projects to Oracle

How to switch database servers for Quality Center server (KM189834)

Can the database back-end used by Quality Center be migrated from Oracle to MS SQL and vice versa (KM194388)

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy,

Thank you for putting these links together. Just to clarify, from my understanding since we will be moving projects by phases old users should still be able to use ALM connecting from SQL server. Then, for newly migrated projects users will be connecting through Oracle. With this, we will need to deploy a "instance" of ALM that is connecting to Oracle schema? In short, temporarily we will have 2 instance? one for old SQL db SA schema, the other is new SA schema?

Thanks!!

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

You're not changing your ALM version, right? You weren't planning to create a new ALM instance, were you?

As I understand it you should be able to add an Oracle database to your existing Site Admin configuration, and gradually migrate the projects from on db server to the other. The Site Admin schema would exist on only one server, but would know about both servers. Each individual project could be on only one db server or the other, but users could log in to just the one instance of ALM and access projects on both db servers.

I've never actually had to do this. If you are unsure of the process, and if you have a support contract with HP, you should be able to contact them directly for guidance.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy,

Thanks for the prompt response. So, from my understanding, I can migrate Project schema only for now, then after all projects are migrated to Oracle, we can then migrate the SA schema to Oracle? We will be leaving MS SQL moving forward. Thus, migration of SA schema to Oracle is required. Is this possible? Am I getting it right?

We are still working on our support service with HP. We just reached our end of Suppport for ALM 11.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Please note that I have never tried this process myself. I cannot guarantee that anything I've said will work.

Looking at the article links I provided, it seems like some of them state that it could be done, and others state that you need to follow a very specific set of steps to accomplish the task.

I strongly recommend that you contact HP Support directly to get the correct procedure.

Here are more links that may help.

<QC TIP> How can a project of ALM be migrated from Oracle to SQL or vice versa?

How to migrate a project with the Data Base in Oracle to SQL or vice versa.

These don't deal with the Site Admin schema migration; only project migration.

Established Member.. Will Herrmann
Established Member..

Jump to solution

We had to do something similar a few years ago, to consolidate multiple instances of QC after a merger.  2 instances were on Oracle, but different versions, one was on SQL.

We made sure all of the source instances were on the same application version of QC/ALM.

We stood up a new application and database instance.  We defined in the database tab in site admin the new database AND the source databases (ALM will "talk" to multiple databases and types at once).

We created a domain in the destination server called migration.

For each project when it came time to migrate, we deactivated and removed it from the source (Remove, not delete!), taking note of the location of its DBID.xml file. (make sure to do a check and repair first)

We edited the dbid.xml file to use the comply with the new server's settings.  Then we restored the project via the XML file into the migration domain.

At this point the project is available on the new app server, but still talking to the original database and file repository.

From here we used ALM to create a new project, copying all (customizations, users, data, attachments etc) with the "new" copy in the correct domain, new database server and file repository.

Once the copy was created and tested, we could delete the source from within ALM.

Users come into the new system without definition (just user ID and memberships), but you can run a qry against the old qcsiteadmin.db.users to update the new table.

If you just do the remove restore part in one big bang (updating the user table as well), you could have your user jump right to the new server, and scedule the project outages individually, in 1-4 hour chunks depending on the size of their respositories.

~Have you Read The Felicitous Manual?
~Please hit the KUDOS button if my reply helped resolve your issue.
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Great information, Will. Note though that the author wants to stand up only a new DB server and move the projects and site admin schema. They are not standing up a new application server nor updating their application version.

0 Likes
Established Member.. Will Herrmann
Established Member..

Jump to solution

A new application server is a small price to pay for a speedy/low risk migration, but your mileage may vary. 😉

Aside from the users table,  the parameters table and the database server definitions, there is very little in the siteadmin schema that isn't created when you stand up an app server and point it at a blank DB.   When I did it in 2013 to build a new dev tier (using a variation of the above) the server took less than an hour to install and have configured just like production.

~Have you Read The Felicitous Manual?
~Please hit the KUDOS button if my reply helped resolve your issue.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Trudy/Will,

Thanks for your prompt response to my question. After gathering all required info, I am leaning towards migrating the entire Project schema, one by one, depending on the project priority, to the new db Server. Once done, I will then migrate the SA schema since we need to leave SQL db after all projects are migrated to Oracle.

No new ALM instance will be deployed.

Please feel free to add if you think I missed anything or if I understood it wrong.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.