Highlighted
Gan-Orgil Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

HP Alm octane and quality center

Jump to solution

Hello everyone,  

What is difference between ALM Octane, Quality center express and Quality center enterprise. I'm seeing best suited product to manage automated testing its report etc.

Can you explain more about above products?  

1. What are advantages and disadvantages?  How much it costs? 

2. Which can integrate HP UFT and execute uft scripts from there?  etc

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: HP Alm octane and quality center

Jump to solution

Hi,

Very good questions! Let me try to answer them:

So there is ALM, Quality Center Enterprise, Quality Center Express and Quality Center Community Edition: These are all based on the "classic" product - please see the ALM online help at Get Started - ALM Editions. This is the tool you might know for a very long time, it is very mature, used in a huge number of installations. Please see the system requirements to understand the restrictions for the clients.

And there is ALM Octane: Octane is available in the editions Enterprise, Pro and Team. You'll find these editions here. Octane is currently more focussed on agile projects but evolves rapidly to add more and more features also for waterfall projects. The system requirements indicate that you can use it on various clients because it is using HTML5.

Both the classic ALM/QC and ALM Octane can integrate UFT and other tests. ALM/QC has a rich client and can start UFT tests directly; ALM Octane has a browser based client and therefore starts UFT tests e.g. via Jenkins.

You'll find a lot more information about the products on our ADM Online Help at https://admhelp.microfocus.com/ . And you can also request free trials both for ALM/QC and ALM Octane to really experience the tools; you'll find the free trials at https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/free-trial

Regarding pricing please contact your Micro Focus sales representative or use the contact form at https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/products/application-lifecycle-management/contact

I hope this helps a bit?

Regards,

Dirk

3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

Very good questions! Let me try to answer them:

So there is ALM, Quality Center Enterprise, Quality Center Express and Quality Center Community Edition: These are all based on the "classic" product - please see the ALM online help at Get Started - ALM Editions. This is the tool you might know for a very long time, it is very mature, used in a huge number of installations. Please see the system requirements to understand the restrictions for the clients.

And there is ALM Octane: Octane is available in the editions Enterprise, Pro and Team. You'll find these editions here. Octane is currently more focussed on agile projects but evolves rapidly to add more and more features also for waterfall projects. The system requirements indicate that you can use it on various clients because it is using HTML5.

Both the classic ALM/QC and ALM Octane can integrate UFT and other tests. ALM/QC has a rich client and can start UFT tests directly; ALM Octane has a browser based client and therefore starts UFT tests e.g. via Jenkins.

You'll find a lot more information about the products on our ADM Online Help at https://admhelp.microfocus.com/ . And you can also request free trials both for ALM/QC and ALM Octane to really experience the tools; you'll find the free trials at https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/free-trial

Regarding pricing please contact your Micro Focus sales representative or use the contact form at https://software.microfocus.com/en-us/products/application-lifecycle-management/contact

I hope this helps a bit?

Regards,

Dirk

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Jump to solution

Hello There!

To provide some more key differences, let me highlight a few from the perspective of an existing ALM/QC users.

What does ALM Octane have that ALM/QC doesn't have?

-My work section: Allows you to assign work to users and they can easily find their "TO-DO" list for any type of entity in Octane instead of having to search for their "TO-DO" list by individual entities and having no way of tracking their New, In-Progress and completed "TO-DO" list.

-Create folder structure one time:  In ALM/QC, you have to re-create your folder structures as you wish in Requirements, Releases, Test Plan, Test Lab, etc.  In ALM Octane, all entities can be traced to each other by filling out the meta-data and tie to existing folder structures without having to re-create folder structures.

-Pipeline Module: This allows you to not only integrate with Jenkins like in ALM/QC, but you can view Pipeline Analysis for your root cause analysis and see more than just Pass/Fail status's.  Pipeline analysis allows you to drill into the build that failed, see what entities are related to that build, see who made the commits, view the stack trace, seeing who's "on-it" to resolving a build issue or if no one's covering it and it needs to be assigned.  That is just to name some and there's much more to include dashboards to view the past & current status and trends of your pipelines based on your different environments

-Browser agnostic: ALM/QC requires using IE.  ALM Octane is browser agnostic as well as tablet friendly to facilitate adoption and use of the tool without being limited to IE.

-Task Boards: ALM/QC does not have Kan Ban type boards that allow you to drill into team progess of "New," "In-Progess", "Deffered," or "Done."  You can change these titles, but this task board allows you to see the progress of tasks that are assigned to teams and team members and can be filtered across multiple releases, sprints and teams.

-Drag & Drop capability: ALM Octane allows you to easily drag & drop assignments when you're trying to assign items to teams and team members which makes it much easier to use and assign for planning.  ALM/QC does not have this capability.

-Slack integration: ALM Octane has slack integration OOTB that can be leverage for team collobaration by starting a slack chat from an entity so that in slack, that entity ID and information is visible and the collobaration about that entitity can be communicated w/in slack.  Additionally, ALM Octane has it's own commenting ability within entities to drive the same colloboration and following of entities + alert mechanism via e-mail and chat in your "My Work" section.

-Quality Module: The ALM Quality Module allows you to have visibility into the overall quality of your application(s) across multiple releases based on the components of your application (i.e. Login, Billing, Mobile/Online store), or however you define quality in your organization so that you can quickly see in the dashboard if a change or fail test/build has affected the component of that application not just withing your current release, but also across multiple releases and see if there has been a impact to your production and/or pre-production environment.

That just names a few key pieces, and of course, there's much more.

Feel free to contact me directly @michael.ant.doughty@microfocus.com,  or you can join my slack channel at: 

https://admlivechat.slack.com/messages/DBD49SETZ

jagfocus
New Member.

Jump to solution
Very nice explanation.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.