Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Francis Miles Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How do I sort all test steps for all my test cases logically?

Hi
I have recently migrated 1800 test cases from excel, but when viewed in test plan-Design Steps, some of the design steps are sorted all wrong. Its just a cosmetic thing I know, but its driving the testers mad. Sort order appears as follows:
"Step 1 : Step to test the blah in blahblah1"
"Step 10 : Step to test the blah in blahblah10"
"Step 11 etcetc...
"Step 2 : Step to test the blah in blahblah2"

Is there a magic VBA function that can auto sort this lot? I am assuming an SQL based approach is logical
Thanks
Tags (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.. Juergen Oehl Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: How do I sort all test steps for all my test cases logically?

Because the "Step Name" is a String-field it is sorted in alphabetical and not in alphanumerical order. You cannot trigger this with a VBA function as the order will be done by QC itself during the export. In terms of Excel the only way is to use two digits in the sheet like "Step 01" and export again.
For sure it wouldn't be wise to re-order the table "DESSTEPS" via SQL statement.

Cheers, Juergen
0 Likes
Rhonda Robinson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are the actual steps in the correct order and just misnumbered? Or is what you are seeing as Step 10 really step 10 and not step 2?

This will be tedious because it will have to be done individually for each test. You can move your design steps around so that they are in the correct procedural order (regardless of the step number) and then click the Renumber steps button. This will leave the steps in the order you placed them, but will sequenctially number them.
0 Likes
Francis Miles Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Many thanks for the responses Juergen and Rhonda,

As I was in a rush, I actually managed to solve this issue myself.
I wrote an Excel app to process SQL queries (export to worksheet, and queries by row).

I exported the entire DESSTEPS table to excel, quickly wrote corresponding SQL statements to fix all the required steps, and voila, fixed them all. Works perfectly.

The process was quite simple, sql below shows this (have to do this for each test step in error):
UPDATE DESSTEPS
SET DS_STEP_ORDER=10
WHERE DS_ID=12229

Thanks for your prompt responses
0 Likes
Highlighted
i578877 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

*New* Why QC v10.0.246 in Design Steps place Step 1 @ bottom of list?

When I create a new list in the "Design Step" function of the Test plan, why does QC v10.0.246?? do:

1) push "step 1" to the bottom of the list, then "step 2" on top of it, "step 3" on top of "step 2", etc... etc....   ??

2) when I "renumber" the steps, the actual step #'s are "renumbered" but the content cells are NOT moved with the new numbering.

Does anyone know how (from the end users view) to:

1) make QC v10.0.246 insert each subsequent step BELOW the one above it in "Step ##" order w/the content intact?

2) make QC v10.0.246 resort the test plan steps in numeric order with its corresponding contact w/the renumbered step?

Example (as I enter the steps):

Step Name      Description                            Expected Result:

=========   =============                ================== 

Step 5                 Save Record                         Data is validated, catching invalid data

Step 4                 Test module following

Test Case 1 info                  Entered Test Case 1 info

Step 3                Access module                    Login successful

Step 2                Delete old records from

table                                          Records are deleted

Step 1                Edit input file                        File is Edited

Example (if I renumber the steps):

Step Name      Description                            Expected Result:

=========   =============                ================== 

Step 1                 Save Record                         Data is validated, catching invalid data

Step 2                 Test module following

Test Case 1 info                  Entered Test Case 1 info

Step 3                Access module                    Login successful

Step 4                Delete old records from

table                                          Records are deleted

Step 5                Edit input file                        File is Edited

The description & Expected Result do not move to the correct Step #.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. RoniRobinson Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: *New* Why QC v10.0.246 in Design Steps place Step 1 @ bottom of list?

The Renumber function is not intended to move the Description and Expected Results values. Only to Renumber the steps as they are with incrementing numbers. For Example, if you decided that what you have as Step 4 should actually be executed before what you have as Step 3, you can grab the gray edge of step 4 and drag it above Step 3, so your steps would now be numbers Step 1, Step 2, Step 4, Step 3, Step 5. Then you click Renumber and the Step Names are renumbers to Step 1, Step 2, Step 3, Step 4, Step 5. Thus Step 4 was moved above Step 3 and is now actually Step 3.

When Creating new Design Steps (especially when starting at Step 1), do not close the Design Step Dialog when the first step is complete, simply click the New Step Icon. Then when all steps are entered, close the Design Step Dialog. Your originally entered steps will be in the correct order.

If steps do get out of order, you can simply drag them to the correct place as mentioned above, then renumber if necessary.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Nick_NIPR Absent Member..
Absent Member..

So, I've tried this and added a "O" in the string.  Works good for the most part.

So, I have requirement similar to AA_1.01, AA_1.10.  Problem is when I get to 100.  I get the following.

• AA_1.09
  • AA_1.10
  • AA_1.100
  • AA_1.11

I can't rename the requirements, and I do have quite a few instances where there are over a 100 within a project.  Any thoughts?  I know it's only cosmetic and it would be a big deal if it was only a couple but I have hundreds, literally.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. panoos Absent Member..
Absent Member..

one solution is to add an extra field (integer)

tools -> customize - > project entities - >  test steps ->user fields

if the ordering is done according to this field ...the design steps

are reported in the way we want

0 Likes
Absent Member.. MitchAures Absent Member..
Absent Member..

panoos,

Thank you for the suggestion.  Could you please share more details regarding how this solution is implemented?  

For example:

1. When the new Test Steps User Field is created, what is the configuration for the field (required, etc.)?
  2. How is the new field valued?
  3. Are there additional changes required in the workflow code?

Thanks!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.