Vanitha_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Import Test results from excel to Quality center.

I want to import test results (passed/failed, execution time and date)from excel sheet to quality center . How can i do this . I read in one of the thread that we have to write vbscript , or use OTA Api . I'm a newbie plz give me more details on how to go about this. Thank you
0 Likes
25 Replies
WW239455 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Import Test results from excel to Quality center.

Needs and solutions vary. Careful: one reason to buy QC is to use the test lab UI. So to start, before diving in, ensure you have more info eg:
- objectives, cost benefit, use cases, test organization and process with QC.
- get familiar with QC UI
- search QC forums with keywords like "upload results" to understand contexts
0 Likes
hdo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
Anyone has an answer to this question?
Thanks!
0 Likes
Jyo462 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Did you get the solution for how to upload test results from an excel file to qc??

Thanks,

Jyo462

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Uploading test results into QC from Excel is not supported by the Excel Add-in (which otherwise allows you to upload test cases and requirements, etc.)

The only way to push test results into QC from an external source is to write your own code that utilizes the Open Test Architecture API.  The documentation for the API comes with the product in the Documentation Library.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
samchristo Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Please show your test case template.

I have done the macro for the same requirement however it will work only for my test case template.

0 Likes
Orchipen Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Could you share the macro?

0 Likes
sree84 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I need to upload results from Excel sheet to ALM 11.0, new version of QC.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. abkhalid Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I am also looking for something like this! if anybody has got the solution plesae do share
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

The question that comes to my mind every time I see this question is - "Why?"

Why are you tracking test execution results in an Excel spreadsheet instead of using the functionality of the ALM/QC user interface to enter your test results?

If you think the full interface is "too complicated" for the people who execute the tests, what about using Sprinter (a pared down version of the interface only for executing tests manually, or creating manual tests with Sprinter 11.5)?

If you really have to do this and you don't want to use the available UI to do it manually, then you will have to write code to interface to the Open Test Architecture API.  The problem is, of course, that requires you to understand what is happening in QC when test results are entered and then you have to replicate those actions:

- Creating Test Lab folders and test sets if they don't already exist, and populating them with instances of the Test Cases for which you want to enter results.

- If those items do exists, then you have to find the Test Instance for which you want to enter results.

- Then you have to create a Run record and associate it with the Test Instance

- Then you have to create Run Test Steps for each test step in your test case, associate them with the Run you created, and update each step with a result.

- Then you have to update the Test Instance with a summary result, execution date and time, and tester.

Is it really worth all that effort? 

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
Harry20 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can someone help on this?

If they have created a macro, can you please share with the group.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
SahilS Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi trudy, great reply. but sometimes as in my case what happens, all of a sudden your project requires a new field in Test Lab > Test Instance. and you have around 15000 tests , so how you can update that field, one option go to ever test manually and upadte it, second, based on Test IDs you provide that detail for field and upload it to test lab. for this i know i need OTA. i am just answering why it is required 🙂

Regards
0 Likes
JessStuart Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here's why I have to look into this:

I need to test my project on a secure network.  This secure network can't ever communicate with the network with the QC10 server.  Any automated testing on the secure server has to be recorded and manually moved to the other network.

The technical detail in your answers make sense and seem helpful.

My "why" question for you would be, "why do I need to justify my need for the answers before I can get them?"  Sometimes the effort required is the only option available.  It's very tedious from my point of view to wade through patronizing criticism to get help I need.

@Trudy Claspill wrote:

The question that comes to my mind every time I see this question is - "Why?"

Why are you tracking test execution results in an Excel spreadsheet instead of using the functionality of the ALM/QC user interface to enter your test results?

If you think the full interface is "too complicated" for the people who execute the tests, what about using Sprinter (a pared down version of the interface only for executing tests manually, or creating manual tests with Sprinter 11.5)?

If you really have to do this and you don't want to use the available UI to do it manually, then you will have to write code to interface to the Open Test Architecture API.  The problem is, of course, that requires you to understand what is happening in QC when test results are entered and then you have to replicate those actions:

- Creating Test Lab folders and test sets if they don't already exist, and populating them with instances of the Test Cases for which you want to enter results.

- If those items do exists, then you have to find the Test Instance for which you want to enter results.

- Then you have to create a Run record and associate it with the Test Instance

- Then you have to create Run Test Steps for each test step in your test case, associate them with the Run you created, and update each step with a result.

- Then you have to update the Test Instance with a summary result, execution date and time, and tester.

Is it really worth all that effort? 

0 Likes
AsineLee Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Would you please share your template?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Absent Member..

@AsineLee,

Sorry but I don't have a template for this.  Since I've never had to actually do this, I've never actually constructed the solution.

To those folks who replied "why do I have to tell you why I need this?", my answer is you don't have to tell me why. That is a question I ask only to get the post-writer thinking about what they are doing, and to provide pointers to other methods that might be easier to implement to solve the issue.

This forum is entirely voluntary. Nobody is required to answer any question. Nobody is required to assist the folks who ask the questions. Nobody is required to "justify" their requests.  When I try to provide help, I try to do more than provide answers. I try to help folks help themselves by pointing out other lines of thought, other resources to consult, and multiple solutions to consider.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.