Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
NEW_ALM12 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Is re-naming Defect module a good practice?

Hi Folks, 

Modules in ALM can easily be re-named, which is very common. But, question is what are the impacts in the project overall? What should be consider before and after re-naming the module? Does it require any workflow modifiation? Im thinking to re-name Defect module to BUG.

hope to hear!

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Jan Czajkowski Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Is re-naming Defect module a good practice?

In general, I would say no.

It is not so easy to get a name change reflected consistently in the application in all places where the module name will appear.

But the main reason is that it tends to create new headaches. If users are used to call a module by a custom name, that is bound to create confusion when accessing the standard Help documentation or when discussing ALM in various forums and with Micro Focus support.

Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]
Honored Contributor.

Thanks much for your input and suggestions about confusion that creates after renaming.
However, is there any thing to do in workflow, customization, and anywhere to be updated by us based on new name?
Only issue I have seen is about email that is send to users from Defect/Bug module about defect after renaming the module. Example: module changes to Bug from Defect. But the email will still have Defect ID instead of Bug Id, and defect Detail instead of Bug Details.
Other than that if I’m not wrong all is well.
Any thoughts would be great!
0 Likes
sheyenne Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Agree with Jan. Especially when you have a large implementation of ALM where a user could have access to multiple/several projects. Consistency vs confusion among the not so experienced with these tools which I find a lot more these days. I find people from the business or one with little to no QA, testing, development background use the ALM tool.
If you only had one project in your ALM server perhaps it's ok for instance if you choose to use the defect module for something else like "Orders" or something.

Defect to Bug seems like unnecessary, it's essentially the same thing. Looking for stuff to do? :D
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

@sheyenne I totally agree with you and Jan. Thanks for suggestion. But, I guess I have no choice so was wandering to know if there are any impact with in the project rather than confusing users. 

Re-naming Defect to Bug is just an example. I would be changing Defect to Something else (as Business need). 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.