Respected Contributor.. o1eksandr Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

JIRA Issue key is not synchronized from JIRA to ALM (QC) in HP Synchronizer 12.53.1416

Jump to solution

We are facing the issue related to HP ALM – JIRA synchronization (using new HP Synchronizer 12.53):

New Defect was created in HP ALM, afterwards syncronization with JIRA took place and appropriate bug was created in JIRA. During next synchronizations JIRA issue key field for current bug/defect wasn't transferred from JIRA to ALM until new changes were done in this bug. It’s important that testers in ALM can see that JIRA issue key was assigned (as soon as possible) to defect they created, that would mean that developer gets notification about its adding to Jira.

We supposed that it was a bug from HP ALM side or HP Synchronizer itself.

However, together with HP support we tested synchronization between test project in our HP ALM and new default JIRA project on HP side, JIRA issue key have been synchronized successfully without additional uppdate in defect.

I created new test project in Jira and simple workflow was assigned to that project. Then I compared workflows settings that are used in our workflow and in workflow settings in HP. It's pretty much the same. Please see attached screenshots.

Currently we are using script as workaround that updates bugs created in Jira after it has been synchronized from ALM. Script adding comment to these bugs so it triggers synchronization of Jira issue key.

Does anyone faced such issue?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: JIRA Issue key is not synchronized from JIRA to ALM (QC) in HP Synchronizer 12.53.1416

Jump to solution

Did you set the Synchronize back on create option to Yes  on the Mapping Properties tab for the ID fields?

Jan Czajkowski

[Please do not contact me off line for receiving support. Use the forum!]

View solution in original post

12 Replies
ameyjo Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: JIRA Issue key is not synchronized from JIRA to ALM (QC) in HP Synchronizer 12.53.1416

Jump to solution

Hi,

Workflow scripts are not executed as part of entities synchronization,  the only way they are executed is from within the endpoint software,  by triggering the event that invokes the script.

Cordially

"HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution"
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Did you set the Synchronize back on create option to Yes  on the Mapping Properties tab for the ID fields?

Jan Czajkowski

View solution in original post

Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you, Jan, and regards from Kiev! That's right what we need. It was too obvious to notice 🙂

0 Likes
NEW_ALM12 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Could you please show me how you were able to map the Defect ID of ALM to JIRA? Do I need to have a new field in JIRA which stores the JIRA Bug ID or I can use teh system filed called Key in JIRA?

Could you please paste your field mapping of Defect ID and Key?

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

You need a new field in Jira for the ALM bug ID. And a corresponding new field in ALM for the Jira ID/Key.

Jan Czajkowski

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Jan, thanks for an update.

However, I have exactly the same process (User fields in ALM and JIRA). I have new user field called "JIRA Key" in ALM and "ALM Bug ID" in JIRA. Now I mapped System Field "Defect ID" of ALM with the "ALM Bug ID" in JIRA. This works as expected. But the challange I am having is I am not able to map "JIRA Key" user field of ALM with the field in JIRA. How do I mapp in this case. Please advice.

Note: I could not find System Field "Key" of JIRA in HP Sync.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Have you tried to Refresh Schemas in synchronization link - Field mapping tab?

In our case user's field Jira issue key in ALM mapped to system field in Jira - Bug key.

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Yes, I refreshed the field scheme in HP syn but still do not find the "Key", the system field of JIAR project.

If I'm not mistaken, you have user field in ALM which define JIRA Bug ID. ANd that user field is mapped to System JIRA Bug field  called, "Key", correct?

0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

In ALM we created user field Jira Issue key (BG_USER_01) that is mapped to  Bug Key (key) in Jira.

For the sake of clarity see attached screenshots.

Bug_key_mapping.PNGfield_mapping.PNG

0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Wow! you opened my eyes today.

Thanks a lot!

Actually, I was just looking for "Key", since it says Key in JIRA. Now I got it.

However, I have a question again.

The "Bug Key" in jira is "R". Can this be made "RW"? I know this field wont be available in Create scree.

Have you mapped the Defect ID of ALM to go to JIRA? If you have done, could you please detail here.

And one major issue of HP ALM Syn. If a user is not available in JIRA, the syn will fail with the error "user does not exit". Have you ever encountered this issue? What would be your opinion for workaround solution other than Not-mapping the Reporter or Assignee field?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

You are welcome.

"Bug Key" in Jira is system field, it's primary key that must be unique and can not be changed (can not be "RW").

We mapped "Defect ID" from ALM with custom field in Jira that we have called "ALM ID".

defect_ID.JPGALM_ID.JPG

As for the missing users in Jira, we are struggling only with external one (that are not working in company) - we are adding them to Jira with limited access. Internal users have users in Jira.

I'm not sure, maybe it's possible to automate adding users in Jira via REST API - taking user id from synchronizer error message and adding it to Jira users list.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.