Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Loading QTP Add-in When Starting From QC

Jump to solution
When I create a new test in QC then launch QTP from QC, the 'Web' add-in always gets loaded. I only need the '.NET' add-in. How can I set which add-ins get loaded when starting QTP from QC.

- Thanks
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Loading QTP Add-in When Starting From QC

Jump to solution
Hi Alan,
Here is best solution from HP :

--------------------------

In Quality Center (QC), the user has the capability of converting Manual Tests into QuickTest Professional (QTP) Tests. However, the generated test is only associated with the Web add-in. How can the user configure QC to load other add-ins like ActiveX, Java, etc., when converting tests to QTP tests?

Diagnosis: Whenever the user converts a test to a QTP test, the generated test is configured according to a template test stored in the QTP add-in directory, which is installed on the client machine. In order to associate different add-ins to a generated test by default, the user needs to modify this template test.

Solution :

Modify the QuickTest Professional Add-in template test Here are the steps you will need to follow to modify the QTP add-in template test:

1. Launch QTP without connecting to QC.
2. Open up the relevant template from the file system. For example, if you are using QTP 9.1, you need to open up: "\Program Files\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Add-in for Quality Center\bin\Templates\Template91". You will notice that the last two digits of the script name conform to the version of your QTP.
3. Once opened, go to File->Settings.
4. In the Properties tab, click the Modify button and add the relevant add-ins.
5. Apply the changes and save the script. All your generated scripts from QC will now include those add-ins.
----------------

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
You can create a Template test with the addins u need and save it to QC .And then you can associate that Template Test script with ur script,so next time QTP will load with the addins u need .

-----------

Creating a New Template Test
You create a template test by first creating a blank test in QuickTest with the required test settings. Then, in the Test Plan module of your Quality Center project, you browse to your QuickTest test and save it as a Template Test.

Note: When you save the test in QuickTest, you should apply a descriptive name that clearly indicates its purpose. For example, if the template test is to used to associate the ActiveX and Web Add-ins with a new test, you could call it ActiveX_Web_Addins_Template.

Tip: In the Quality Center test plan tree (Test Plan module), you may want to create a special folder for your template tests. This will enable other users to quickly locate the relevant template test when they create new QuickTest tests in Quality Center.

To create a template test:

In QuickTest:

Open QuickTest with the required add-ins loaded. For more information on loading QuickTest add-ins, see Loading QuickTest Add-ins.
Define the required settings in the Test Settings dialog box (File > Settings). For more information, see Using the Test Settings Dialog Box.
If you want to include comments or steps in all tests based on this template test, add them.
Click the Save button or choose File > Save to save the test. The Save Test to Quality Center dialog box opens. Save the test to your Quality Center project using a descriptive name that clearly indicates its purpose. For more information, see Saving Tests to a Quality Center Project.
In Quality Center:

Open the project in Quality Center, click the Test Plan button on the sidebar to open the Test Plan module, and browse to the test you saved in step 4.
Right-click the test and choose Mark as Template Test. The test is converted to a template test.
Repeat steps 1 to 6 to create additional template tests, as needed.
--------------------
You can refer QTP help file for more info .
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks. So do I have to now call this template test from each new test that I create? I guess I don't understand why the last settings used in QTP are not saved when QTP is reopened via QC. That was the way it was with WinRunner and seems to make much more sense.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Alan,
Pls find attached which details the steps of creating the Template Test for Web Addin only and when you create a QTP script associating with the Template Test ,it will only open the Web Addin as expected.

This is how QTP behaves I guess,I contacted Mercury and this is the only solution they gave me .
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks SVK.

That works great when creating a new QUICKTEST_TEST but my tests are all created as MANUAL first then converted to type QUICKTEST_TEST when/if possible. How would you associate the test to the Template test then I wonder?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
That seems like a difficult solution to me.

Have you looked at the Test Properties/Settings? (I'm not sure if it is properties or settings) Here you should be able to define which add-ins are necessary for the test. When executing the test from QC, these are the add-ins which will be loaded.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Alan,
Here is best solution from HP :

--------------------------

In Quality Center (QC), the user has the capability of converting Manual Tests into QuickTest Professional (QTP) Tests. However, the generated test is only associated with the Web add-in. How can the user configure QC to load other add-ins like ActiveX, Java, etc., when converting tests to QTP tests?

Diagnosis: Whenever the user converts a test to a QTP test, the generated test is configured according to a template test stored in the QTP add-in directory, which is installed on the client machine. In order to associate different add-ins to a generated test by default, the user needs to modify this template test.

Solution :

Modify the QuickTest Professional Add-in template test Here are the steps you will need to follow to modify the QTP add-in template test:

1. Launch QTP without connecting to QC.
2. Open up the relevant template from the file system. For example, if you are using QTP 9.1, you need to open up: "\Program Files\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Add-in for Quality Center\bin\Templates\Template91". You will notice that the last two digits of the script name conform to the version of your QTP.
3. Once opened, go to File->Settings.
4. In the Properties tab, click the Modify button and add the relevant add-ins.
5. Apply the changes and save the script. All your generated scripts from QC will now include those add-ins.
----------------

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
That worked. Thanks a lot SVK.

You can set the add-in via the Test Settings but then you have to do that for each test. This way, the .NET add-in is loaded automatically.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I am using QTP 9.5 and QC 8.2. When i am launchingQTP form QC only web addins get loaded .I want to load .net, active X addings.
how i havetodo plesae help me
Regards
Gyanenda
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
I have a bit different problem. I hope some of you might have faced this.

I am testing a Windows application, but It has some conflict with the ActiveX addin. I mean application doesn't start when I have QTP opened with ActiveX addin loaded.
Problem is I have some ActiveX components to handle in application.

So, I am thinking of Loading ActiveX addin at Run-Time However problem is I am running script from QC(Test Lab) which opens the script in READ ONLY mode. Therefore I can't use QTP AOM(Automation Object model to Load required Addin.

Any suggestion/advice on this OR any other way to handle this situation?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.