Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Established Member.. Will Herrmann
Established Member..

Migrate/Restore a project from ALM 11.5 to ALM 12

Jump to solution

Hello All,

I'll explain our process, then the issue I am seeing, so please bear with me.

Over the years we've employed a tried and true method to migrate from one version and instance of TD/QC/ALM to another.  We used it most recently last year to move from 3 different QC 10 installations (merged company) to one consolidated ALM 11.5.

1 We stand up a new server(s) with a new qcsiteadmin_db database or schema.

2 We connect the old database server to the new application server.

3 Create a new project on the old database server, to get the correct password from its dbid.xml file

4 We Remove (note delete) a project from the old server.

5 Edit the Removed project's dbid.xml with the new database password, if needed.

6 Restore the project in the new app server.

7 Verify, Repair (if needed) and upgrade the project to the new version.

8 Copy the project to the new database server.

9 Delete the source project after verification.

Lather, rinse and repeat until all projects have moved.

So we stood up ALM 12 on Windows 2008r2 server yesterday, and followed the steps above to try to migrate a couple of our ALM 11.5 projects (we have 397 at the moment).  I get to step 6, and get this error

Failed to restore project.
Failed to load data from EXTENSIONS table of project 'testingtools_status_db@jdbc:mercury:oracle://oracle-OLD-DATABASE:1587;sid=almp(testingtools_status_db)';
Failed to load data from EXTENSIONS table of project 'testingtools_status_db@jdbc:mercury:oracle://oracle-OLD-DATABASE:1587;sid=almp(testingtools_status_db)';
Failed to obtain a connection to schema 'testingtools_status_db'; com.hp.alm.platform.db.CTdDbException: Can't create a new database connection.;
Can't create a new database connection.;

Has anyone had success importing 11.5 into 12?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

~Have you Read The Felicitous Manual?
~Please hit the KUDOS button if my reply helped resolve your issue.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Established Member..

Re: Migrate/Restore a project from ALM 11.5 to ALM 12

Jump to solution

We have an ugly soltution now....

Break the file repository by moving the attachments to another location temporaily.  Export the 11.5 project to QCP file (the file trick ensures the QCP is small enough to import).

Import it to 11.52 (because they always fail import on v12)

Run Repair and upgrade on 11.52.  Remove project (not delete)

Restore via dbid.xml on v12 (after editing for correct path and database strings)

Copy the file repository to it's new home

Verify and if needed repair.  Upgrade to 12

ALM 11.52 server needs to be on patch 03 and have site parameter ‘ENABLE_COPY_PROJECT_EXTENSION_COMBINATION_SUPPORT’ to value ‘N’;

Putting this out here for anyone else that has the problem, and in hopes that someone finds a cleaner solution.

0 Likes
16 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Go to PROJECT_EXTENSIONS table in site admin schema of ALM 12 and check if you see the PUID of project "testingtools_status_db". If so, remove all the entries related to the project PUID and restore the project again.
Clicking the "Kudos star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!

When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!
Established Member..

Jump to solution

This was a fresh QCsiteadmin_db, no entries.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Will Herrmann,

Create a new project in ALM 12 ; go to the repository path of this project and take that dbid.xml file for standard reference.

Now, ask the database administrator to restore a specific database from ALM 11.52 to ALM 12 database server.

Contact the repository team  to copy the repository of specific project from ALM 11.52 filer to ALM 12 filer.

In this copied ALM 12 repository path you will find the old dbid.xml; rename it to dbid_11.xml file  and paste the base dbid.xml file produced in step 2 here.

Modify the below attributes in the dbid.xml.

Set the <PROJECT_NAME> attribute to name of the project to be migrated
Set the <DB_NAME> attribute to project database restored under ALM 12 DB server
Set the <PHYSICAL_DIRECTORY> attribute to <<<alm 12 rep path>>>
Update the <PROJECT_UID> last three digit to some unique number<<<>>>

Save the dbid.xml file.

Now try restoring the project, by providing the above dbid.xml file.

Let me know if it is successfully restored or you are recieving any error message.

Regards,
Srihari

Absent Member.. Craig_Drummond Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

If you are just doing the testing for the upgrade to discover the steps I would suggest that you consider looking at the ALM Robot for your upgrade.  When you are moving up to 12.x from 11.5x this tool could save you a lot of time and effort.

You can get details about the most recent version of the ALM Robot along with the documentation here: https://hpln.hp.com/page/hp-alm-robot-automatic-upgrade-tool

Craig Drummond

HP SW Premier Support, Technical Account Manager - ALM Products

Established Member..

Jump to solution

HP Robot will not copy many projects with the lab extenstions enabled (called out i the documentation).  Of our nearly 400 projects, about a third (and growing) are integrated with Perfromance Center and/or Quick Test. 😞

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

We'd tried this on Oracle, from our old Prod to Test, from 11.5 to 11.52, but this fails when attempting with 12.

0 Likes
Established Member..

Jump to solution

We have an ugly soltution now....

Break the file repository by moving the attachments to another location temporaily.  Export the 11.5 project to QCP file (the file trick ensures the QCP is small enough to import).

Import it to 11.52 (because they always fail import on v12)

Run Repair and upgrade on 11.52.  Remove project (not delete)

Restore via dbid.xml on v12 (after editing for correct path and database strings)

Copy the file repository to it's new home

Verify and if needed repair.  Upgrade to 12

ALM 11.52 server needs to be on patch 03 and have site parameter ‘ENABLE_COPY_PROJECT_EXTENSION_COMBINATION_SUPPORT’ to value ‘N’;

Putting this out here for anyone else that has the problem, and in hopes that someone finds a cleaner solution.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. sn_sqa Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have an issue with some Data table cells not being read into the fields of the application during the test run after migration from QC 11.52 to QC 12.

Anybody seen this issue ? I appreciate help ASAP.

Note: The problem application field objects are being identified from the shared object repository from the migration.

I have migrated a project from QC 11.52 to QC 12. A bunch of functional automation test cases have been migrated

during this process. Data Table and shared repository is also migrated.

Thanks,

sn

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Mike_C Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Craig, 

Is there a dedicated support forum for Robot? (we're having an awesomful time attemting to use it)

Mike Constantinou, ISTQB
0 Likes
Contributor.. Athiq Contributor..
Contributor..

Upgrade from ALM 11.0 to ALM 12.0 (Oracle DB to SQL DB)

Jump to solution

Hi,

We are in the planning process of upgrading ALM 11.0 using Oracle DB to ALM 12.0 SQL. We will be installing ALM 12.0 on a new hardware but we want to use SQL and not Oracle.

What is the procedure to migrate the DB from Oracle to SQL?  There are some documents out there which is not straight forward.

Can anyone provide some steps/suggestions.

Thanks

Athiq

0 Likes
Manish000786 Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: Migrate/Restore a project from ALM 11.52 to ALM 12.55

Jump to solution

Dear Team,

We are installation new installation of ALM 12.55 .After installation of new ALM 12.55 we are planning to move data migration from old ALM 11.52.Please let us know the detail steps for data migration.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please see the installation guide, it contains guidelines how to migrate from older ALM versions.

If this system has some relevance (more than a few users, production environment etc.) please consider involving someone who has done this before like experts from Micro Focus partners or professional services. The migration is not too complicated - nevertheless I would not risk loosing data or causing a longer downtime.

Regards,

Dirk

0 Likes
Manish000786 Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Team,

We have refer the guide but data migration from ALM 11.52(Oracle) to 12.55 (Oracle)is not mention anywhere.

Can you please let us know more details specifically for data migration from ALM 11.52(Oracle) to 12.55 (Oracle) only.

Thanks

Manish

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Manish,

For ALM 12.55 please see the installation guide at https://admhelp.microfocus.com/alm/en/12.55/online_help/Content/installation_guides_main_page.htm

For example in the guide for Linux see chapter 11 / Upgrade Versions on page 70: From ALM 11.52 you can upgrade directly to 12.55. That chapter also contains other information relevant for the upgrade.

Regards,

Dirk

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.