Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Absent Member.. David Chiappone Absent Member..
Absent Member..

OTACLient help needed - heavy usage crashing our QC10 system

Jump to solution

I have several users connecting to their QC projects to pull test cases and update run results via the OTA API. This heavy usage is causing instability issue with our system as the servers attempt to provide the data being requested to the users.

Questions:

1. Is there any concern with having multiple connections opened via the OTAClient from the same user account and same host machine as monitored for the site admin screen? There was some concern that these multiple connections we part of the instability

2. Is there any best practices on how to manage/monitor activity to the QC servers by these OTAClient connections. How can we attempt to trouble shoot what is happening to the QC servers by these connections

3. Is there a way to isolate the OTACLient connections from the rest of the users so that they do not have a negative impact to servers

David 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. AndreyProdanov Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: OTACLient help needed - heavy usage crashing our QC10 system

Jump to solution

Hi David,

Ask Norman to provide answers to the questions I have given in my post above, they could help my coleague working on the case.

Since you are on QC 10 an easy way out might be to increase the heap to the maximum 1536 MB in case you are using lower value.

Thanks,

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi David,

By your description of the issue seems quite problematic for your environment and I would recommend opening a support ticket immediately. The problem needs to be investigated in depth. When opening the ticket, please make sure to provide the following details, which will greatly reduce the time needed to troubleshoot the problem:

QC server version and patch level.

QC Server OS type and version

DB server type and version

QC debug console screenshot during peak load times and during normal operation.

Detailed description of what the OTA scripts you run actually perform on the QC server.

Running OTA can have great impact on your QC server, we have seen severe performance issues caused by OTA scripts which run periodically(every several minutes) and perform huge updates/queries on projects.

To answer your questions directly:

1. There is no concern for this specific point, while the client machine is not crashing. OTA can impact the performance of both client and server machines. When the client machine reaches 100 % cpu utilization it is probably good idea to balance the load between several machines. Using one username is not a problem.

2. Troubleshooting this kind of problems for end customers is only possible through the QC debug console and by monitoring the Jboss heap utilization using the built in Jconsole utility, that comes with java for QC. For the moment I would not recommend the activation of the Jconsole monitoring tool as it has some additional impact on server performance, this will be eventually requested after you have opened ticket.

3. The only method I see as viable is to create a second node( create clustered QC environment) and run the OTA connections only against one of the nodes.

Thanks,

Andrey

HP Support

If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. David Chiappone Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Andrey,

Thank you for your reply. My support team has opened a ticket (Case ID 4639669456) and are proceeding to work the issue.

David

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi David,

Ask Norman to provide answers to the questions I have given in my post above, they could help my coleague working on the case.

Since you are on QC 10 an easy way out might be to increase the heap to the maximum 1536 MB in case you are using lower value.

Thanks,

HP Support

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.