8-)
New Member.

Process for QC Migration from One server to another

Hi All,

Currently our QC App Server, Database Server & File Repository are all on three different servers on Vendor A's infrastructure. We are shortly moving all our servers to Vendor B's infrastructure.

I have some idea of how to go about the migration, but would like to get your advice on the best approach

We have around 10 projects which we are planning to migrate all  at once. The size of each project is massive and hence the QCP export route is ruled out.

Can you kindly list the steps to be followed in migrating our QC from  Old to new servers ?

Cheers,

John

Reward Kudos if you find this post helpful 🙂
0 Likes
10 Replies
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Process for QC Migration from One server to another

This is not a complete and detailed set of steps, but is a summary based on my experience.  I've done many migrations of ALM QC projects from one environment (1 app/repository server + 1 SQL DB server) to another separate environment.

If at all possible make sure that the source and destination QC systems are running the same version and patch level of the product before migration.  If they aren't, then the destination system needs to be at a newer version and/or patch level.

1. Deactivate the project on the source system so no changes can be made.
  2. Back up the project database.
  3. Back up the associated file repository
  4. Copy both to appropriate locations on new environment
  5. Restore DB
  6. In SQL use the sp_change_users_login stored procedure against the restored DB to resynch the 'td' SQL user account created by and used by QC.
  7. In the destination file system Repository modify the dbid.xml file for the project to reference the new db server (requires change in two places) and the new Physical Location for the Repository
  8. Restore the project in the destination environment Site Admin module.
  9. If the source and destination system were at different QC versions, you'll have to go through the Site Admin steps to Verify, Repair, and Upgrade the project.  If they were at the same version but different patch levels, you should still run Verify, and then run Repair if necessary.

The Restore of the project in Site Admin will add all the usernames associated with the project to the Site Users list, but will not bring any other information about the user, like Full Name or Password.  If you want to bring that information I would suggest that you use the Site Admin API to extract the info from the source system and then push it into the destination system, also via the Site Admin API.  If you have very few users, they just enter them manually.

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
8-)
New Member.

Thanks a lot Trudy !

That reaffirms the process we were thinking of.

Regarding the users information, wont the Users  table be transferred to target database along with the site admin schema ?

Cheers,

John

0 Likes
Absent Member..

The process of migrating individual projects does not create or migrate the Site Admin Schema. The Site Admin Schema is created by the installation of ALM. If you want the Site Admin Schema on Vendor B's environment to be the same as on Vendor A's, that will be a separate process from migrating projects.

If you are working with an outside vendor, are they not providing the migration as a service to you? Or do they just supply the systems? Do you have to install the app yourself?
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
8-)
New Member.

Hello Trudy,

Due to various reasons we have to Install QC on the Vendor B's envioronment and then migrate the site admin schema and all the projects onto the new server. Basically we need an as-is environment on the Target environment.

We are still on QC 10 and SQL Server 2005 which needs to be installed on the target servers as well.

The approach we have thought of:

1) Deactivate Projects . Take backup of entire QC DB and File Repository

2) Restore DB on new SQL server (Done by new Vendor's DBA)

3) Create a folder for QC File Repository on the Target File server (Done by new Vendor's DBA)

4) Install QC 10 on Target Server. DUring Installation point to the new DB server and the new Repository

5)Change the DBID.xml file parameter values to reflect the changes to DB server and File repository path

6)Verify each project

7)Activate Projects

Can you kindly advise if there are any missing steps in this approach?

Cheers,

John

Absent Member..

At this time I don't have access to my ALM system or documentation because I am out of office, so I can't get very deep into details on any of this. However, I would be very reluctant to put a copy of the site admin schema database from your source system onto the target system and then try to use it in any way. Personally, I think you would be better off doing a clean install of QC on the target system and then migrate your projects as previously discussed. You could consider using the Site Admin API to extract information from your source system site admin schema db, and then use the Site Admin API to insert same into your target system site admin schema db.

If you restore the site admin schema db from your source system onto your target system, the install of QC on the target system may detect that db is present (depending on how it is named). In that case it may give you a choice to create a new, blank site admin schema db, upgrade the existing schema db in place, or upgrade a copy of the schema db. If you do either of the latter two choices, you could have problems with your target system because the site admin schema db includes things like the name of your db server. Personally, I think there are just too many things that might go wrong in that scenario, trying to reuse your existing site admin schema db. If you really want to do that, I strongly suggest you work with HP Support to get steps that they will support.

Michael_610 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I am wondering if you also need to move site admin DB as well. If you are going to move the entire ALM/QC environment from one server environment to another, then one important thing is to restore the site admin DB from old DB server to new DB server and then install the new version ALM/QC by using the existing site admin DB, during the installation process ALM/QC will firstly upgrade your site admin DB, then after the new server is up, you can start to restore projects.

Please backup repository and DB first.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

8-)

I have actually gone through the process of moving an entire ALM installation from one split server configuration (one Windows server for ALM app and Repository, plus one Windows server with MS SQL for all databases), to another split server configuration. In my scenario, I moved to the new application server first while retaining the original database server. At a later date I moved the databases to a new db server, including the Site Admin db.

If you are working in a similar environment (Windows Servers, MS SQL for DBs), send me a private message and I will be happy to share my experience.

0 Likes
Gary-ODJFS
New Member.

Quality Center - Migrating Projects over 2GB the Manual Method using RoboCopy. 

FYI - Robocopy is a ton faster than a drag and drop of a repository from one server to the other.  Can move a 45gb repository in about 1.5 hours here with RoboCopy vs 2+ days with drag and drop.

Below is the basic process for moving projects over 2GB. DBAs will be involved with steps 3-6 and 9.

1. Deactivate project in old environment from the Site Administration page

Verify, Repair if needed and Verify Project again from the Site Administration page

Remote into new server where projects will migrate to. mstsc the "//ipaddress e$" of old server then select the drive and repository location. You can then set a drive on the new server to link to the old server location. Copy file repository dir from old to new environment repository in final location via robocopy (robocopy Z:\WORKFORCE\OFC E:\repository\qc\WORK\OFC /s /e /dcopy:t /mt:64 /r:100 /w:5 /v /tee /log:robo.log)

DBA - detach db on old environment, dropping fulltext catalog (this alters the SOURCE system however)

DBA - copy db from old environment to new db (optionally, reattach db on old environment)

DBA - attach db on new db server (new environment)

DBA - on new db in sql run "alter user td with login = td" <------------ this was the SQL error cause, a broken user link

Edit dbid.xml frmo each repository RoboCopied with new file location on new server in text in bold pink below. Best to open other dbid on new server and make changes based on its password, database, port and repository location.      

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ProjectDescription> <PROJECT_NAME>OJIxx</PROJECT_NAME> <DB_TYPE>2</DB_TYPE> <DESCRIPTION>Created on 2011-12-20 16:35:04</DESCRIPTION> <DB_CONNSTR_FORMAT>jdbc:mercury:sqlserver://MSAIRxxxxxxx1D:port#</DB_CONNSTR_FORMAT> <DB_NATIVE_AUTHENTICATION>N</DB_NATIVE_AUTHENTICATION> <DB_NAME>migration_nov_oji_db</DB_NAME> <DBSERVER_NAME>MSAxxxxxxx01D</DBSERVER_NAME> <DB_USER_PASS>QCCxxxxxxxxxxxxxxy+Fw==</DB_USER_PASS> <PR_HAS_VCSDB>N</PR_HAS_VCSDB> <PHYSICAL_DIRECTORY>E:\repository\qc\UNEMPL\OJI\</PHYSICAL_DIRECTORY> <USERS_QUOTA>-1</USERS_QUOTA> <PR_IS_ACTIVE>Y</PR_IS_ACTIVE> <SAQ_IS_ACTIVE>Y</SAQ_IS_ACTIVE> <VM_REPOSITORY></VM_REPOSITORY> <PR_LANGUAGE>English</PR_LANGUAGE> <PROJECT_TYPE>Standard</PROJECT_TYPE> <IS_TEMPLATE>N</IS_TEMPLATE> <PROJECT_UID>caa4xxx9-e9eb-4366-a320-ddxxxx32edc46</PROJECT_UID> <PR_SMART_REPOSITORY_ENABLED>Y</PR_SMART_REPOSITORY_ENABLED> <PR_IS_QPM_AUTO_CALC_ENABLED>Y</PR_IS_QPM_AUTO_CALC_ENABLED> </ProjectDescription>

Restore project in new Site Administrator from the project domain by selecting the new dbid file. It can error if the dbid is wrong or if the dba did not run the "alter user td with login = td" command above.

DBA - Rebuild fulltext (in both old and new environment if needed)

Test that new environment works ok.

Activate in old environment and put old environment in Read Only if necessary so they can check the migration was successful

Make sure project has "Automatic Email" checked in the project tab

Email users of the changes

0 Likes
Priyotosh
New Member.

Thanks for the details.

0 Likes
satya_bs15 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hi All,

Can you please share the docuemnt to do the QC migration from one database server to another database server with the upgrate of version from 12.53 to 12.55 patch 2. Please help.

Note: we have around 1500+ projects. so it is not possible to change the dbid.xml for all the project mannually. is there a way to do the changes to the dbid.xml with the new db details automatically. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.