Absent Member.. ww43117 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

QC 11 upgrade fault, corrupted release & cycle dates

QC 11 Patch 2
QC 11 upgrade fault, corrupted release & cycle dates. (Software Support Case ID 4629679476)

You will want to know about this one, if you don’t already.

When upgrading projects from QC 10 to QC 11 the dates in the Release and Cycle ‘somehow’ become corrupted.
Here is how it manifest itself. When in the release area you select the ‘status’ tab, by default that tab is tries to display the ‘project’ graph and you get a MBG box about ‘cannot depose… object’

Well the date has not been lost at least not in my particular project, but are somehow buggered. If you look at the Release and Cycle table oyu will see that the dates are there.
QC 11 has simply lost the ability to use them ... (?) The work around is to run … see below

QC 11 for the release START & END dates, they are mandatory and this CANNOT be changed
QC 11 the cycle START & END dates, they are NOT mandatory but they can be made mandatory

QC 10 the release START & END dates, they are NOT mandatory but they can be made mandatory
QC 10 the cycle START & END dates, they are NOT mandatory but they can be made mandatory

There is nothing you can do in QC 10 to prevent this from happening. You are simply stuck with applying the following work around AFTER upgrading each project that contains Releases and Cycle dates.

Workaround is this: (from HP support)
Currently there is workaround which you can use.
1. Deactivate the project
2. Log in to Site Admin->Site projects tab and select the project
3. Expand the project and click on RELEASE_CYCLES table
4. in RELEASE_CYCLES table use the following two queries to fill-in start and end date

UPDATE RELEASE_CYCLES SET RCYC_START_DATE = ‘actual date in table’ in the format '2011-10-20 01:00:00'
and
UPDATE RELEASE_CYCLES SET RCYC_END_DATE = ‘actual date in table’ in the format '2011-10-20 01:00:00'

5. in RELEASES table

UPDATE RELEASES SET REL_START_DATE = ‘actual date in table’ in the format '2011-10-20 01:00:00'
and
UPDATE RELEASES SET REL_END_DATE = ‘actual date in table’ in the format '2011-10-20 01:00:00'

Now I've applied this work around and it seems to have resolved the issue. The graphs for progress and quality actually display now. Applied this in a copy of the project after the user is satisfied I will aplly to live project.

Also worth noting, while the CYCLE START & END dates, can be set NOT mandatory, once you enter data into the date field you cannot remove the date, you can change but it no longer allows it to be ‘unscheduled’.

The work around of course is fine for a small light weight project with only 1 or 2 releases and a half a dozen cycles all on the same date. But imagine trying to do this with projects that have been around for 2 or 3 releases with 30-50 rows in each table with differing dates all over the place. Now spread that out over 100 + projects. Not fun, even to just think about!

Has any else encountered other issues to share ...
0 Likes
3 Replies
Martin Sander Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: QC 11 upgrade fault, corrupted release & cycle dates

Hi Stephen

Thanks for that.

I have also encountered an issue with migrated projects.

I am copying from the QC10 db to QC11 db ( linked in Site Admin ), copying repository, restoring in QC11, and then upgrading.

Project is fine from a read-only point of view but unusable for execution

Manual tests, with steps, now display a 'red x' . They cannot be executed and if they are added to new testsets the whole Test Lab goes into meltdown.

We are getting together a list of issues to put to HP Support. Will post the results once we get a solution

Thanks
Martin
0 Likes
Established Member.. William Schmitt
Established Member..

Here are my QC 11 project upgrade woes.  So far, I have been able to upgrade just 2 out of 13 projects successfully.  These two projects are very small ones without a lot of file repository entries, mainly database only.  The upgrade proceeds on the others for a while, but all get hung up when the repository migration starts.  Then the upgrade times out and the session is disconnected.  In many cases, the JBoss service just stops.

HP has provided some suggestions and a few hidden parameters to try, but so far no luck.  This is a real showstopper for me.  I am upgrading in my test environment (ie copying the db down from prod) before doing this for real.  If I am unable to successfully upgrade all of my projects, I guess I won't be installing QC 11 in prod.

0 Likes
Matahapa Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for sharing this information on the corruption.  Oddly enough, we have user authorization corruption from the conversion of 9.2.

And as of today, none of the patches resolves it.  Just FYI for anyone reading....

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.