Contributor.. WiscoWorm Contributor..
Contributor..

Quality Center v12.01 with High Availability for databases only

Jump to solution

Today, within Site Administration, I have told the Application exactly what the database server name is.  But - with High Availability enabled I would need to tell Quality Center the "clustered node" name instead so it knows about the primary and second database server.  For example: If the primary server fails, I want SQL server to automatically switch over to the secondary server.  There shouldn't be any downtime or performance degradation as a result.

--Our Quality Center environment is setup with 1 application server and 2 database servers (1 primary and 1 secondary for high availability). 

--The applicaiton server runs on Windows server 2012 and the databases are running on Windows SQL server 2012. 

--We have 5 databases or "QC projects" in our environment. 

--We are using Quality Center enterprise 12.01 version.

QUESTION: I know you need the permier or true "ALM" version of Quality Center to do High Availability on the application side but what about the database side? 

QUESTION: SQL Server 2012 has built in capability at the database level to switch over from server to server but how would HP Quality Center know about it? 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Alonso_S_QC Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Quality Center v12.01 with High Availability for databases only

Jump to solution

Hello Wiscoworm,

Thank you for contacting HPE Forums.

Regarding the questions, in ALM you can use Oracle RAC, this will let you connect to several DB servers using a TNS file.

From ALM side, we use a single connection string, so the configuration for a High availability architecture will occur only from the DB server side, now besides Oracle RAC, we do not have any clustering mechanism from MS SQL side, there is an Enhancement Request for this you can see it in this link:

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1J70068

I hope this information helps you.

Alonso Sequeira Morales
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
hpe.com
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation”
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Alonso_S_QC Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hello Wiscoworm,

Thank you for contacting HPE Forums.

Regarding the questions, in ALM you can use Oracle RAC, this will let you connect to several DB servers using a TNS file.

From ALM side, we use a single connection string, so the configuration for a High availability architecture will occur only from the DB server side, now besides Oracle RAC, we do not have any clustering mechanism from MS SQL side, there is an Enhancement Request for this you can see it in this link:

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1J70068

I hope this information helps you.

Alonso Sequeira Morales
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
hpe.com
Hewlett Packard Enterprise

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation”
0 Likes
AmKa Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

When the MS SqlServer is clustered, you would have a virtual network name (VNN), that identify the cluster.

If QC/ALM connect to the VNN, it is the responsibility of the cluster to send you to the right server. QC/ALM would not know (and does not need to know) where the data is stored and on which server.  If the clusterring is setup correct, it will work with transparently for QC/ALM.

See: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189134(v=sql.110).aspx

Hope this help you.

Contributor.. WiscoWorm Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

The enhancement request is now deferred and was only for version 11.0. my version is 12. will a new change request be opened up?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.