Trusted Contributor.. Jim Hazen Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Requirement module - "Failed to Check Out" error message when using version control to check out

Jump to solution

I'm getting an error message of "Failed to Check Out" for a requirement that has "Checked_In" status.  I select the requirement record in the Tree or Grid views, use right-click to pop up the menu and select the Version/Check Out menu item.  Enter information in the Change Log dialog, and upon clicking OK button I get the Error dialog with message of "Failed to Check Out".

Other requirement items I can perform a Check Out action on them.  I have a few requirements that act this way.  Need way to fix those requirement assets/records that exhibit this error.  Have run a Verify on the project database and have not had any failures/error messages from the verify action.

This is for ALM 12.60, project database is in Oracle 12c, Versioning option is turned on for project.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Requirement module - "Failed to Check Out" error message when using version control to

Jump to solution
Hi Jim Hazen,
Ideally when a requirement is checked out, following will happen
1. In the REQ table it will mark version status as "checked out"
2. In VC_REQ table a record will be created for this checked out requirement.

When checked out requirement is checked in,then following should happen

1. Mark status as "checked in" for this requirement in REQ table
2. Wipe out the record belonging to checked in requirment from VC_REQ table .

In your case what I am thinking is after requirements are checked in, "checked in" requirement records were not cleared out from VC_REQ table, that is why even though while the status is showing as "checked in" in REQ ,since they have uncleared record in VC_REQ ,ALM gets confused and will issue error message thinking requirement is still in checked out state.

Go to VC_REQ table, identify the REQ_ID'S , now in REQ table check whether version control status for these requirements is checked in , if that is the case clear that record from VC_REQ table and then try to checkout it should work.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Srihari
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Requirement module - "Failed to Check Out" error message when using version control to

Jump to solution
Hi Jim Hazen,
Ideally when a requirement is checked out, following will happen
1. In the REQ table it will mark version status as "checked out"
2. In VC_REQ table a record will be created for this checked out requirement.

When checked out requirement is checked in,then following should happen

1. Mark status as "checked in" for this requirement in REQ table
2. Wipe out the record belonging to checked in requirment from VC_REQ table .

In your case what I am thinking is after requirements are checked in, "checked in" requirement records were not cleared out from VC_REQ table, that is why even though while the status is showing as "checked in" in REQ ,since they have uncleared record in VC_REQ ,ALM gets confused and will issue error message thinking requirement is still in checked out state.

Go to VC_REQ table, identify the REQ_ID'S , now in REQ table check whether version control status for these requirements is checked in , if that is the case clear that record from VC_REQ table and then try to checkout it should work.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Srihari
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. Jim Hazen Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Shrihari,

Your suggestion about deleting the record from the VC_REQ table is getting the problem fixed.  Seems the record wasn't properly released / Checked In before.  Thanks.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.