dododo0325 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Steps to bring up a cloned environment

This is an effort to bring up a cloned/staging environment.  Does anyone have instructions / steps to share for cloning a production env (a set of HP QC 11/Weblogic app virtual machine + one oracle db virtual machine)?

I have the cloned VMs where both have different hostnames.

On the clone app server, I have made changes to some weblogic startup  and shutdown and config files to reflect the new app server name.  Weblogic port 7001 console comes up fine.

On the clone Oracle VM, I have brought up the oracle instance running (with a different hostname, same SID).

However, when I go to http://cloned-machine:7003/qcbin I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error message.

Is this the correct procedure? I'd be very interested to find some answers as I am not sure what steps are necessary to make the HPQC talk to the oracle database.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.. Trudy Claspill Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Steps to bring up a cloned environment

When last I checked with HP support several years ago on "cloning" a QC environment based on virtual machines, they said it was not supported because they don't support renaming servers after the application is already installed. At the time I was forced to start with new machines, install the app from scratch, then migrate a copy of the data to the test environment. I was working with Windows Server OS and SQL for the database backend, JBOSS for the App server and IIS for the web server.
[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]

(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Steven Hulse Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Steps to bring up a cloned environment

I agree with Trudy, Create a new VM, copy (or clone, depending on which database you are using), copy your repository over to the new VM and install a fresh instance of ALM. Don't forget to change your database connection info and dbid.xml files in the repository to point to your "cloned" database.

This is what we did for our test system and it worked very well. (Thanks to some help and advice from Trudy!)

As for licensing, if this is going to be a non production system and used for testing patches and such, you can get what is called a "non-production" license for it.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.