Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Tagging of Test Cases for better search ability

In ALM, we have around 25k Test Cases. These Test Cases are segregated by different fields like Test Case Type, Corresponding Application, Initiatives etc. 

Recently we have been getting complains from user that they need some mechanism through which they will be able to tag test cases so that they could easily search specific test cases.

Current implementation has all the required segregation so that user could able to find specific test cases but I need to know if there is any method through which I could tag Test Cases so that it has better search ability for Testers.

Any idea? Please let me know,

Labels (3)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Tagging of Test Cases for better search ability

Other than using filter on the fields? How are the testers searching for the tests? By application, functionality, modified or any other criteria or qualifier? Such as tests not scheduled, tests not run? Have you considered the Flag feature (see Help for details). Are they randomly identifying test cases? Or if you mean the "Tag" functionality like it is used in this forum, then you could add a custom text field and use that for labeling.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

To keep track of my stuff,  I use the following options:

- Seach

- Pin Item

- Flag Item

- Alarms

Besides the obvious filters and auto emails. But yea, it's not a bad idea to have a "My Backlog" module, like in Octane. 

Below image is from the demo project, just for illustration

Capture.PNG

Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Try this, if you haven't:

1. Switch to the grid view of the test plan module
  2. Set filters to narrow down the search scope (reduce the number of cases from 25K to 1K for example)
  3. Use "subject" to filter the path of test case
  4. You can set several filters and save as a favorite
  5. Use keyword search pattern  "*keyword*" in test name filed, you can even use * in between, such as "*search*condition*", you can directly change the keyword of test name in the grid header for quicker search

See attached files

Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

@sheyenne
It is like Tag functionality where we could add a custom text field and use that for labeling
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks a lot for your input.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

thanks a lot for your input.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.