Highlighted
VinEsp66 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Unable to export test cases via Excel Add-In when Test Plan data-hiding filter is set

Hi.

I have created a group of testers in QC with a restriction to see and manage just one folder tree in Test Plan: I have set the data-hing filter.

If a user belonging to that group uses the Excel Add-In to write test cases in the Test Plan section, the process stops with a "Node not found" error.
The behaviour is that the Add-In creates the test folder as empty and then doesn't find it anymore because of the data-hiding filter; the user doesn't see the new created folder in the Test Plan tree but the administrator can see it!
May be the sub-process started by the Excel Add-In conflicts with filter.

Without the Test Plan filter, everything works fine.

Here is the filter string type as it appears after it has been set:

Filter: Subject[^Subject\Level 1\Level 2\Level 3\Level 4\Level 5^]

Do you have any hint to fix that issue?

HP Application Lifecycle Management 11.00
ALM patch level: 17

Thank you
Regards

0 Likes
4 Replies
VinEsp66 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unable to export test cases via Excel Add-In when Test Plan data-hiding filter is set

Hi.

Any news about this issue?

Thanks

0 Likes
VinEsp66 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Unable to export test cases via Excel Add-In when Test Plan data-hiding filter is set

Hi.

The HP support has just told me that the ALM HPQC version 11.00 is not supported anymore.

Please, do you have any hints to avoid the problem described above?

Thank You

Regards

0 Likes
Damodar-Reddy Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Are the Users (Testers) creating the cases & pointing the Subject (Level1/Level2...), Since if the target location is outside of this, Yes the users cannot see the Cases created either by Excel or in ALM itself. 

You were right, because of this Data hiding conditions & remember one more thing, if there is no data at all in the desired location, the users will still not see the hierarchy of the tree structure.!!

Hope this helps. If the target folder (Subject) is different, then you can include this in the Data Hiding Filter to over come the issue.

(If this helped, accept as solution )
(Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer)
0 Likes
VinEsp66 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi, Damodar Reddy.

I know the empty folders are not seen; for this reason I usually create a dummy test case element to let the user see properly. Using the Excel Add-In the users surely try to create and write in the folder I have declared in the Subject's filter, but the process cannot see the folders tree and stops.

Anyway, I have found out that the double data-hiding filter (Test + Test Set) on the same group of users affects the behaviour of the test runs: the tester cannot mark a test as "Passed" or "Not Passed" (using the appropriate button) and the error message "Failed to Post Step" appears. Then, everithing is blocked in the session and the user has to close ALM by killing the process on the computer. In this community there is a post that asks for help: Unable to mark test runs as "Passed" when Test Lab data-hiding filter is set. a post that is still without any answer and I still have the problem.

Thank you for having interest in these issues.

Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.