Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
WW639283 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrade QC 10 to ALM 11.5

Jump to solution

Hi,

Our customer would like to upgrade from QC 10.0 to ALM 11.5

Currently QC 10.0 has Oracle database

Customer wants to migrate to SQL database for ALM 11.5

Please can you help on what needs to be done. Any reference or best pract to be followed.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Upgrade QC 10 to ALM 11.5

Jump to solution

Hello ,

The below KB article link covers complete steps for upgrading from QC 10.0 to ALM 11.5 :

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00474177

It has links to other necessary KB articles , link to "Upgrade best practices" guide.

The KB can be used for all details.

Coming to your environment where DB has to be migrated from Oracle to SQL , there is extra work which needs to be done.

You have to install and configure a SQL DB at your QC 10.0 end . Make a copy of each of the project in QC 10.0 and store the copies in the new SQL DB.

This SQL DB backups of QC 10.0 can be restored in your ALM 11.5 SQL DB. Or the same SQL server ( used for QC 10.0 ) can be used for ALM 11.5. 

So you need to do this copying process 1st , then you can refer the KB article for steps on upgrade.

*One best practise is that always keep of backup of things so that it can be restored when things go wrong.

Regards,

[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

( Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HPE in any way . )

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello ,

The below KB article link covers complete steps for upgrading from QC 10.0 to ALM 11.5 :

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00474177

It has links to other necessary KB articles , link to "Upgrade best practices" guide.

The KB can be used for all details.

Coming to your environment where DB has to be migrated from Oracle to SQL , there is extra work which needs to be done.

You have to install and configure a SQL DB at your QC 10.0 end . Make a copy of each of the project in QC 10.0 and store the copies in the new SQL DB.

This SQL DB backups of QC 10.0 can be restored in your ALM 11.5 SQL DB. Or the same SQL server ( used for QC 10.0 ) can be used for ALM 11.5. 

So you need to do this copying process 1st , then you can refer the KB article for steps on upgrade.

*One best practise is that always keep of backup of things so that it can be restored when things go wrong.

Regards,

[If this post or any other post helps to resolve your issue or query, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance. ]

( Posts and opinions made here are my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer HPE in any way . )

View solution in original post

Absent Member.. sgpravin0123 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

HI,

I am unable to download the document which, can anyone plz share that..

Thanks

0 Likes
Dennis Handly Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

>I am unable to download the document

This KB article is restricted to customers with a support contract, SAID.

And would be a copyright violation to share it.

0 Likes
Binnys Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hello,
We are currently using QC 10.0 and looking to migrate to ALM 11.5.

I would like to access this KB article. Please let me know how can you verify the support contract with us and provide this KB article ?
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi,

Do do want to upgrade to 11.5 - or via 11.5 to e.g. 12.60?

If your organization has an active support contract with Micro Focus (perhaps closed via HP or HPE) someone in your organization should be registered as primary contact with Micro Focus for support renewals. And that person should also have the required data to access software downloads (e.g. for ALM 11.5 or higher) and to the Knowledge Base system?

Else you could contact your Micro Focus sales representative to help you get access. When you do not know the sales rep please try to get in touch via the chat. If that does not work please send me a personal message via this forum and I'll try to get in touch.

Regards,

Dirk

Binnys Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution
Hello,

We are planning to upgrade to 11.5 first and then on higher version.

I'm still unable to find the contact registered primary contact from my organization. I'm trying to find the steps to do migration my self from the different team within my org.

In addition, i have some below questions in my mind related to migration:-

1. Do we need to re-do the workflow and re-build the defect configurations(like custom fields and lists) once upgraded to ALM ?

2. Apart from test plans and defects, would the cycles, requirements(with attachments), would also get migrated safely ?

3. Should i be worried about my existing macro codes that i have written so far? ( small modifications would be ok like updating ALM connection part )

4. Existing 'SQL' queries in the Dashboard section would be retained as it is ?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.